iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Twin blade edger build question.

Started by toyowashi, June 23, 2020, 03:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toyowashi

I'm working on my plans to build a small twin-blade edger. It all seems simple enough but I'm struggling to figure out how the blade adjustment mechanism works.

In all the videos I've seen the blade seems to slide along the arbor with is easy but I can't see how the blade locks/unlocks from the arbor to allow for sliding. It seems if it's loose enough to slide, the blade would just slip and not turn. Any advice would be appreciated and pictures would be a big help. 

paul case

Most of the ones I have seen are on a shaft with key way cut into it and have a key that slides with the arbor.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

toyowashi

I think I see how the key works, I'm just not sure how to attach the keyed blade clamp to the moving mechanism. The blade clamp spins but the moving carriage is stationary. With apologies to WDH, I stole his picture to show what I mean. The question marks are where I'm having trouble. 

Southside

I can get a photo of mine tomorrow for you, but everything turns and my Riehl has a brake rotor / caliper like housing that moves the blade back and forth, so no bearing on the arbor and everything turns, blade, locking hub, key.  What part of northern Maine you from?  The County by chance?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

tacks Y

I have an old TK (1200 ?) if you need more pics. It is simple and obsolete.

toyowashi

Southside: Pics would be great if you don't mind. I don't know why I'm having such a time wrapping my head around this. I do live in the County. Lots of Amish up here running circular sawmills. 

tacks Y: Simple is what I'm looking for. I welding up the frame and the conveyor body last week but I don't want to go farther until I figure this mechanism out. 

Southside

Here you go. Let me know if you need more. From Mapleton myself. 

Looking down from the cover. You can see the disc is part of the adjustable hub and the caliber looking part is attached to the moving arm. Just like a brake on a vehicle there is a slight gap between the two. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

toyowashi

Quote from: Southside on June 24, 2020, 03:16:49 PMYou can see the disc is part of the adjustable hub and the caliber looking part is attached to the moving arm. Just like a brake on a vehicle there is a slight gap between the two.
Thank you. I understand it now. I was way over thinking it. I'm actually in Washburn and go to Mapleton often. 

tacks Y

Sorry a little late getting back on this. Mine is a TK 802 and it uses a grove instead with a collar on the side and a grease fitting on the forks.

Banjo picker

Keep a look out, and you can probably find a used one cheaper than you can build one.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

moodnacreek

If I built an edger from scratch it would have to be a 2 7/16" double full length keyed shaft. I would buy the shift saw hub from a sawmill manufacture. There would be 4 feed shafts, 2 in and 2 out fitted with sprockets for grip. I have seen this done and it works. The small edgers talked about here are ok for 1" boards but after that it it needs to be heavy.

zmach

toyowashi

Quote from: Banjo picker on June 27, 2020, 09:51:35 AM
Keep a look out, and you can probably find a used one cheaper than you can build one.  Banjo
I've been looking for months but haven't come across any. I thought the same thing because there are tons of mill here.

toyowashi

I'm using a 22HP gas motor that's only driving the two blades. I figure that should run twin 14" blades. No problem.  I have a treadmill motor for the conveyor belts. That way I can adjust the speed easily. 

Banjo picker

I found the one I got on the Mississippi Farm Market Bulletin.   You can access it on line for free.  They do keep you two weeks behind unless you subscribe.   Had to drive about 3 hours to get it.  Morgan brand....out of busnisses... Had to do a little work on it, but got it right.  It has a 10 horse 220 motor.   Draw back is it will only do 1 inch or so and will work the stew out of you if you work by yourself.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

moodnacreek

Never herd them called twin edgers. Board edger was the term in my time. If there where more than 2 saws it would be called 3 saw edger and so on. Way back there where one saw hand feed edgers so another man could be kept busy.                            Those who are trying to make their own machines really need to hit the road and look at running machines.  I know the virus makes this hard.

moodnacreek

Quote from: Banjo picker on July 03, 2020, 01:18:00 PM
I found the one I got on the Mississippi Farm Market Bulletin.   You can access it on line for free.  They do keep you two weeks behind unless you subscribe.   Had to drive about 3 hours to get it.  Morgan brand....out of busnisses... Had to do a little work on it, but got it right.  It has a 10 horse 220 motor.   Draw back is it will only do 1 inch or so and will work the stew out of you if you work by yourself.  Banjo
If you can slow the feed down it may do more.

Thank You Sponsors!