iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OWB Problems

Started by Old Forester, October 28, 2013, 03:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Forester

We have a Central Boiler 5036 that I have used for 5 heating season and I think I am having 2 problems that I could use some help with.
1)The OWB seems to be using more wood each year.  Although I can not quantify it, my gut feeling is it seems to use more wood to accomplish the same amount of heating each year.  At least I have not change anything that I am heating with the unit.  I have a small sawmill and burn some slabs, but they are always at least 1 year old.  I also have a wood lot and burn standing dead trees that have been dead at least a year or two.  Mostly red elm and burr oak.  I can not quantify how much I burn, but I seem to need more wood for each additional heating system.  Any thoughts?

2)I use the OWB to help heat our hot water for household use and each year there seems to be less heat added to our system than the year before.  I have suspected sediment in the bottom of the hot water heater that will not let the household hot water naturally circulate to take advantage of the OWB system.  I have tried to flush the hot water heated by dawning water out of the bottom of the hot water system but do not seem to do any good. Again, any thoughts would be appreciated.

sam-tip

I did have hard water deposits plugging the tubing coming out of the side arm heat exchanger.  I added a tiny taco pump to circulate the water heater water.
Central Boiler E3200 WiFi
Many many ported chainsaws. 201 to 3120
TM log splitter pro30 6 way head
D&L 1020 swing blade sawmill for slabbing
Timberking 1220

doctorb

Old Forester - welcome to the Forum

I own a 2300, so my thoughts may or may not be of help....

If it seems to use more wood to do a certain amount of heating, then I would suspect that the efficiency of your unit is down.  While mine is a gasifier and yours is not, the trickiest things for my OWB efficiency is the air flow.  If your intake is blocked by creosote, either in the air holes or the solenoids, it will take longer to get your water up to temp and will probably take more fuel to do it.  I'd check all intakes and solenoid air passages. 
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

mrcaptainbob

Hmmm. Interesting. I've noticed a serious decline in the house heat the last few years, too. But since that portion that's in the ground has been compromised, I suspect the majority of loss is due to that. I'll be changing that come spring. We have baseboard hot water heat. Sometimes it can't keep up. Especially in the single digit temps with double digit winds.

Thank You Sponsors!