iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

forestry cage for farm tractor

Started by timberfaller390, January 05, 2010, 04:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill m

Here are some pictures of the skid plate on my tractor. One picture from the front end one from the back.

As you can see there is not much on the underside that is not protected.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

timberfaller390

That is something else I will be adding soon. We droppd the belly pan on my GFC dozer one time and it was so beat up it took a couple of days and liberal use of torch and sledge hammer to straighten it back out. That really opened my eyes about how much abuse the underside of a piece of forestry equipment gets.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

thecfarm

I don't think my Ford 2120,made in '92 has sand in them.I have never heard of it before. Must have been some reason for it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

4genlgr

bill m
how do you like the tire chains you have on the back?

bill m

Awsome!!!! This set is about 7 or 8 years old and are showing very little wear. Expensive but well worth it. Not sure if you can tell from the pictures but they are studded.

shinnlinger

I think the sand is just there to keep the hollow tubing from pinching in the fabrication process...  Take a 1/2 copper pipe and bend it over your knee.  It kinks in half.  Now fill another piece with sand and cap the ends and try again.  The sand one won't collapse ands gives a uniform bend.  I suppose this gives a little more protection in a rollover, but I bet it is just there for fabrication.  THe weight doesn't hurt either, but I doubt it adds THAT much.

Keep those belly pans clean with a power washer.  They can fill up with greasy leaves and what not and catch fire from time to time.

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

bill m

Quote from: shinnlinger on January 09, 2010, 10:11:38 PM

Keep those belly pans clean with a power washer.  They can fill up with greasy leaves and what not and catch fire from time to time.

Dave
No greasy leaves or anything on mine - I don't have any oil leaks. I take mine off every 100 hrs. when I do fluid and filter changes.

Thank You Sponsors!