iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Michigan Veneer/Grade Red Oak Market?

Started by BEEMERS, April 27, 2014, 08:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BEEMERS

Ive been hearing that Red oak is as high as its ever been in Michigan.Veneer is through the roof and Grade has matched highest ever.Reputable sources too. The mill I worked with on my Aspen veneer in the past is out of the Oak business and I guess just turning Aspen.Manthei in Petosky.
Anyone hearing anything about this?And if so..anyone had ant experience with veneer buyers in Michigan?Im in Harrison dead center of Lower Penninsula East/West..and A bit closer to the Bridge than I am to Ohio.
If prieces are up there id like to start with @ 100 veener trees and see how Im treated before we do more business.Id like to sell veneer and leave the rest of the trees where they lay,Id take it from there.
Any ideas on where prices are?...who to contact?..if any veneer buyers in the FF? and opinions on my idea as far as how I want to go about it?

beenthere

Beemers
Sounds like a "wanted" ad in the making.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Firewoodjoe

Beemer. I used to haul maple to petoskey. Do they realy only run aspen now. What quality and size does that need to be and what's the ball park price. Thanks. As far as oak. We havent cut any oak in a little while. But about a year or so ago we were happy to get $600-$700 a thousand. I haven't heard of it being higher

Corley5

Kretz and Columbia are a couple veneer buyers I've dealt with but not in a while.  A friend of mine is trucking hardwood veneer logs into Manthie's from all over.  He goes as far as NY sometimes.  He hauls finished veneer for export to Seattle.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

BEEMERS

Joe,I got $450 per thousand bf.On the landing,they trucked it and treated me very good. Had to be bigger than 13 inch inside the bark or bigger..and same specs as hardwood veneer.Called Manthei this spring and they called back saying they were no longer taking any oak.Message I got on answering machine.
I just called the buyer again and left him a message to call me back...waiting for that call and maybe I can get better info.

BEEMERS

Just got off the phone with Mantheis. Told me red oak average veneer should be $1400 thousand bf and great stuff up to $1800. but they are NOT buying red oak AT ALL.Still buying Beech,Hard maple others but no Red oak,said they cant make money on it.
They said they are still buying Aspen but only in late fall early winter.Said they are getting heavy into and looking for Tulip Poplar.(which I have none..) So you downstate guys if you got any..Mantheis are good guys to deal with.
He did get me a number for a guy he works with.So maybe that will work.Still looking for advice it would be late fall or winter and a SELECT veneer cut if the prices stay up.Im talking 100 trees maybe more.

Thank You Sponsors!