iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New planer

Started by xlogger, May 12, 2021, 05:25:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

After a 4 month wait my new Woodmaster 25" planer finally got here. I order one with the spiral head and upgraded to the 10hp motor. I uncrated it late yesterday and hope to start putting it together later today. I got one of those 1000# lift cart from HF a couple months ago and not used it yet. I'm mainly going to plan live edge slabs with it. Question on the cart. I know Danny and Robert talked about cutting off and lowering the handle on  the cart to move slabs back and forth on planer but will it work just leaving handle like it is. Looks like there is plenty of surface area if you keep it on. Your suggestions please! Got so much going on now probably be next week before I start using it. Got to go fishing Friday ;D.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

WDH

I found the handle to be in the way, above my working height of the table, so that is why I lowered it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

Me too. Long slabs are more stable when stacked lengthwise on the table, so the handle gets in the way.  Until you mentioned it, I had forgotten they had them.   :D :D

I just take the cable off and toss it under the cart.  These things are really, really handy.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

samandothers

I keep watching for a sale on the carts and occasionally look for a coupon.  Seems HF has changed their sales approach.  But one of these days.... I hope.

firefighter ontheside

There was just a brand new Woodmaster 725 in an auction I was bidding on that ended last night.  It went for $2200.  It had a 7.5 horse, 3 phase motor.  I'm thinking that was a good price.  I did not buy it, as I don't have the power or space for it.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

rojen

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on May 12, 2021, 11:26:38 AM
There was just a brand new Woodmaster 725 in an auction I was bidding on that ended last night.  It went for $2200.  It had a 7.5 horse, 3 phase motor.  I'm thinking that was a good price.  I did not buy it, as I don't have the power or space for it.
What site did you see that on?  725s are among the machines I'm looking for and I thought I had all the auction sites scoped out
HM126
MS250
CS7310P
Home-made arches
Polaris Ranger 1000
Chains, ropes, and cable
Wife Power

firefighter ontheside

It's a local auction house that does online auctions called Schneider Auctioneers.  They had a 718 in the auction before that that I considered buying, but didn't pull the trigger.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Raym

If your using the lift cart to move your slabs back and forth, here is what I found a few years ago. I don't think they are available for purchase any longer (and thats a shame). This thing has been a life (back) saver. The heaviest material that I move is 1-1/2 5x8 MDF and Im guessing in excess of 200lbs and I can load this on the cnc with relative ease by myself.

Even though they are not available for sale, shouldn't be too hard to duplicate.

TheCrazyHorseDolly - YouTube
'14-LT40 super, nyle l200m kiln, vintage case 480E loader.

It's not the fool that askith, it's the fool that agreeith.

caveman

A former student, current fireman and woodworker who has been bringing me pecan and hickory logs today just bought a spiral head Woodmaster planer and has his straight knife Woodmaster planer for sale.

I assume it is the 725.  It has a single phase 220v motor, 25" cutter head and a separate feed motor.  He wants $2500 for it.  We have a spiral head, 20" Grizzly but 5" more inches would allow us to flatten a lot more of our live edged slabs.

I would love to hear your thoughts and opinions on this machine and the price.  
Caveman

Southside

I have one and am very happy with it. Mostly it skip planes ahead of the moulder, but sometimes folks bring wide slabs over and she eats them right up.

I slight modified the motor mount so it will double as a belt tensioner and that really woke it up. 

If I have enough help then we run it wide open, otherwise lack of help is the only reason it's going any slower. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!