iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Flooring t&g

Started by addicted, November 28, 2016, 02:53:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

addicted

Hey guys
I'm new to milling.
My first real saw job is to mill a bunch of 2x6 t&g for flooring. My question is,
Is it better to let the boards dry before applying the t&g?
Thanks

ozarkgem

Let them dry. They will shrink.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Czech_Made

I would definitely let them dry before T&G.

addicted

I've been told that green wood is much easier to mill.  Is waiting for a lower moisture content because of the t&g fit? In other words, if I were doing ship lap , would that change your decision?
Thanks for your advice
Can't wait to start cutting
Rusty

kelLOGg

I have ship-lapped flooring too, and I dried first. You really do want a minimum of shrinkage to appear in the floor.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Don P

Planing or molding is just about impossible with green wood, It doesn't want to feed and it does want to tear out. The grain rises and falls and totally changes direction around knots, that will leave a less than flat surface when that varying grain dries, I suspect a good number of the grooves would spread or pinch as well.

addicted

Thanks guys
Makes perfect sense.
Time to go to work
Rusty

Thank You Sponsors!