iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Headsaw tension

Started by bandmiller2, October 26, 2008, 07:21:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

When I sold my circular mill 24 years ago,I kept my spare blade,figured I'd be at it again someday.It had new shanks and bits and was hammered for 550rpm and never run just stored upright in a dry shed.Does anyone know, will a saw loose tension just sitting??Suppose theirs only one way to know for sure.What material do you guys use for the saw guides,I used to use something that looked like graphite,they clamed it wouldn't heat the saw.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

sjh

My saw doc told me if it is the wood box or held some how it will be ok. The blade will bend (very slightly)and loose tension if it is just leaned up against a wall.

Ron Wenrich

I agree that if its on a board, you should be OK.

As for guides, I use some sort of composite material that holds up real well.  I've also used locust and hickory.  Oak seems to break apart.  I imagine you can use anything that is rigid enough to take a little wear. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Jeff

Yep, if its in a saw box or on a saw board it will be fine.  The guides on the first mill I ran, a renco, were nothing more then chunks of rake or shovel hickory handles that shoved in a pipe holder of the correct I.D.  The last ones I ran were hardwood guides with a thin brass sleeves. Long lasting, usually months. The hickory handle variety sometimes only weeks or less.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

bandmiller2

Thanks guys,put that blade on the arbor and set the lead 1/32" to try.Saw seems to run OK but its hard to tell no throttle yet,hand on governor,haven't put tach on the shaft yet.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!