iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

DIY sawmill build

Started by Mesquite cutter, March 23, 2020, 08:25:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesquite cutter

A used Kohler Command Pro 13 HP for $650 or a used Honda GX690 25 HP for $600.  The Honda will need to be shipped, the Kohler is down the street..Undecided!  
Backyard woodworker. 
DIY sawmill
Youtube:  Retired DIY Guy

Crusarius

bigger is better!

of course more details would be needed to make the right decision.

mudfarmer

Quote from: Crusarius on November 04, 2020, 10:22:09 AM
I would put speed control after the switch to the motor in the direction you want slow then the direction you want fast leave full speed. So for mine lowering I want slow raising I want fast.

as for the winch I have a 3500 lb hf winch with a 12 tooth #40 sprocket on it. It is louder than loud and resonates through the entire frame. It is ridiculously slow since I am just running the same 12 tooth sprockets all the way through.

I ended up back with a 12 volt wheelchair motor with a 43:1 gearbox. I would like more power and more speed but it does the job.
For my own curiosity, is it the chain that is loud or the winch motor? If it is the chain the internet says a 428 motorcycle chain will work on a #40 sprocket. Maybe you have a buddy with a dirtbike? How long is the chain? For that matter if you have a buddy with a dirtbike they might have 13/14/15/16 tooth countershaft sprockets laying around from playing with their gearing. They might also have rear sprockets in 40-70tooth range. People that take care of their bikes replace chain/sprockets long before they would be out of service for a sawmill head lift, but you don't want to put 65hp through it going 90mph. They are mostly high dollar o-ring chains. People that modify their bikes change from stock gearing sometimes while the sprockets are brand new... Food for thought while dinner cooks ;D

Crusarius

its the winch motor that is loud. I am running #40 roller chain and its not bad at all. kinda nice to be able to hear it and know its spinning.

Mesquite cutter

I used a Harbor Freight ATV winch.  It works great but like y'all said it is loud.  I turned the chain by hand and it is extremely quiet.  I will use the ATV winch for now but later I will invest in a good gear motor.  I have a gear motor but it operates on 110 Volt and and I need it to work off 12 bolts andonly turns one way.  So I will stick to the winch for now.  
Backyard woodworker. 
DIY sawmill

Mesquite cutter

Okay I am getting ready to order the blade guides and sawblades.   What sizes did ya'll order?  My max cutting width will be about 40 inches driven by 19 inch wheels.   Cooks has some guide kits for sale in four sizes (1", 1 1/4", 1 1/2", 2").  I think the two inch will be too wide for the 19 inch wheels.  I am thinking 1 1/4" or 1 1/2".  I would appreciate your thoughts on this.  
Backyard woodworker. 
DIY sawmill

Ljohnsaw

I did 1¼" and I'm pretty happy with it.  I only cut cedar and pine - no big oaks (or cherry or walnut :-\) out here.  I have cut up to 30" wide and it was challenging.  How much 40" will you be doing?  How much hardwood?  If a lot, I'd go 1½" but that is pushing it with 19" wheels.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Mesquite cutter

Most will not be 40" inches wide but we have lots of mesquite here that does not grow straight. (It is a giant bush, hahaha) It is common to have a 20 inch mesquite log curving quite a bit and that is why I made it 40 inches wide.  I want to cut the logs full length instead of cutting them shorter so it can fit in the sawmill.  I am going for the idea of curved mesquite counter tops.  
Backyard woodworker. 
DIY sawmill

JRWoodchuck

I have 19" wheels and ordered the cooks 1 1/4" guides but run 1 1/2" bands semi regularly with no problems. 
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

Mesquite cutter

Quote from: JRWoodchuck on January 29, 2021, 11:24:20 AM
I have 19" wheels and ordered the cooks 1 1/4" guides but run 1 1/2" bands semi regularly with no problems.
Thanks, that is good to know
Backyard woodworker. 
DIY sawmill

Mesquite cutter

I have two B57 belts that I am not using.  I bought them and did not like how loose they fit on the 19 inch wheels.  I bought B56 belts instead.   

If any of you want the B57 belts, just pay the shipping and you can have them.  They are brand new never used.  
Backyard woodworker. 
DIY sawmill

Mesquite cutter

I got the the Kohler engine for the sawmill.  How did you guys secure the centrifugal clutch pulley to the shaft?  My pulley slides on but goes all the way to the back of the shaft and almost make contact or contacts the engine crankcase. I was thinking of placing a washer behind the clutch pulley and also using washers on the front to secure if in place.  I will need several washers because the shaft on the engine is much longer that the length of the bore of the pulley.    
Backyard woodworker. 
DIY sawmill

JoshNZ

I put mine somewhere in the middle of the crank shaft originally and turned a collar each side to hold it there. Rear collar sits between the crank shaft shoulder and clutch and forward collar sits against clutch and a big washer with bolt in end of crank.

I've since removed the toward one and fitted another pulley to run an alternator.

Mesquite cutter

Thanks.  I don't have the machinery to turn a collar but I may look for washers to fit over the crankshaft to align it.  I got a double groove clutch pulley so I will place the alternator on the opposite side using the extra groove.   What kind of alternator did you use (GM, Ford)?  
Backyard woodworker. 
DIY sawmill

Ljohnsaw

I put a GM 1-wire on my 18hp B&S.  My engine has a electric clutch on one side, for the blade, and a fixed pulley on the other, where I put the alternator.  If you use your double clutched pulley, you will only be charging when you're cutting.  But that might be OK since that's the only time you will be revving up the engine enough to be effective.  I also put in a battery disconnect switch right at the battery since the alternator will drain your battery over time just sitting there.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

JoshNZ

What about a piece of tube? Or anything if you've got a drill bit the size of the crank.

I went to the wreckers and asked for an alternator and was given one for free, was off a Honda I think. I put a drill on it in the vice and figured out what the terminals did then in it went. Hasn't missed a beat since.

I'd try to have it running on the crank rather than the clutch if you could. You might as well have it using power when no other power is required, in theory it'll then rob less while cutting. When I'm adjusting the saw height while idling particularly while climbing, my idle rpm sags quite noticeably.

The alternator range is something like 1000-8000 rpm, since your engine will only do 3000 or so you can gear it to do ~2000 at idle with the right pulley, so that it is quite effective. 

Mesquite cutter

Gonna try to find a pipe and see if it works.  I have enough space on the crankshaft to add another pulley so I might add a direct drive pulley also.
Backyard woodworker. 
DIY sawmill

charles mann

Not sure the output shaft diameter, but you might be to find a collar with set screws that will tighten down and hold your clutch where you need it. 

As for the alt, like josh said, pulley size it so its running at a charging rpm while at an idle. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Mesquite cutter

So I need to install a larger pulley on the alternator so it can spin faster?
Backyard woodworker. 
DIY sawmill

charles mann

Quote from: Mesquite cutter on March 03, 2021, 08:09:13 PM
So I need to install a larger pulley on the alternator so it can spin faster?
Go the other way, bigger pulley on your engine. 
Temple, Tx

Mesquite cutter

Where do y'all order your custom length sawmill blades?  I will be milling mostly mesquite, oak and Texas Ebony.  
Backyard woodworker. 
DIY sawmill

charles mann

Quote from: Mesquite cutter on March 03, 2021, 09:57:53 PM
Where do y'all order your custom length sawmill blades?  I will be milling mostly mesquite, oak and Texas Ebony.  
I got my first trial blade from woodmizer. Will try other manufacturers once im up and milling. 
Temple, Tx

Mesquite cutter

I measured wrong and placed the stationary blade guide about 1/2" to 3/4" lower than the wheel.  Do you guys think that will still work or should I recut it and get the guide about 1/4" below the wheel?
Backyard woodworker. 
DIY sawmill

Ljohnsaw

You really need to make it adjustable, but yes, probably should only be 1/4" to 3/8" below the wheel.
John Sawicky

Mesquite cutter

They are adjustable.  I installed the guides from Cooks Saw.  It is just that they will be really low when the guide is centered on the square tubing.  
Backyard woodworker. 
DIY sawmill

Thank You Sponsors!