iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Difference between twin rail and single rail

Started by kb3gkc, July 04, 2020, 03:16:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb3gkc

Greeting all.
I'm new here and very new to sawmills. I'm looking to purchase one and I need some help with terminology and general understanding.
I've search this forum and I can't find the answers. Sorry if these are dumb questions.

Looking at pictures on the Wood-Mizer website as a reference.

What is the difference between a twin rail and a single(?) rail sawmill?

Some mills have two vertical bars holding up the saw head. Others have four. What is the difference and why is it important?
It looks like the saw head just rides along rollers. What prevents it tipping over or wobbling?

Thanks for your patience.
Mitch

Walnut Beast

Go to Wood-Mizer and look at how to buy a portable sawmill also TimberKing and Cooks have a wealth of information. They all have some information packs that can be sent out to you

47sawdust

kb3-
Yes it is confusing to have so many choices from the same manufacturer.Customers have different needs and wallet sizes.
The monorail design on my WM Lt30 is a pleasure to work around.My first mill was a 4 post twin rail Kasco and while it got the job done it was physically harder to work around.Both mills are all manual.
There will always be a discussion about monorail vs. twin rail mills.Personal preference will determine which one you choose.
Best of luck and welcome.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

farmfromkansas

When I was first shopping for a mill, found that companies would send you a video of their mills.  Now they are probably on Utube.  Look at Woodmizer, Timber King, Cooks, probably many others, some built close by. I was interested in the swing blade mills, but at that time were more expensive than manual band mills.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Thank You Sponsors!