iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WoodMizer Factory Service

Started by Ben Cut-wright, April 20, 2021, 08:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Cut-wright

Received an email from WoodMizer a few weeks ago regarding 'factory service techs doing services at a facility near Springfield MO'.  I've owned this LT40HD for a good long time now, retro-fitted many upgrades, rebuilt and modified most of the devices on it, and done all settings and adjustments since I've operated it.  It has been a great machine and I am more than happy with its performance.  That said, I wanted to have confirmation of my work, also have the opportunity to learn more about the maintenance and operation if possible.  So...I called to make an appointment as soon as I read the email. 

The facility in MO didn't know anything about the event. I told them to expect me there and wanted to be first in line IF it was happening, to call me and confirm when they found out.  Never heard anything for a week so I called Headquarters and spoke to Mike (_____)?  Running joke between Mike and myself, he doesn't think I can spell his last name.  Mike didn't know either, told me they had ceased the routes services and doubted the email.  Further investigation and he proclaimed, "Yep, it is happening."  Gave me the names of the techs and the correct dates that matched the email. 

Monday, the 19th of April is my birthday, 75 years old, so I was thinking this was a great way to spend the morning.  Confirmed the appointment with the facility owner for first thing Monday morning.  Traffic was awful, there were three detours on our interstate, one costing me 30 miles the WRONG direction.  That is an additional 60 miles added to a several hours long trip. I was LATE arriving.  The techs directed me to a parking spot for the mill and they began unhooking.  I asked how long, both said no way to determine, there were two ahead of me.  It was clear these two were NOT there for the GOLD Service maintenance. They were getting major repairs for sure, might be getting maintenance as well, but not just the maintenance. 

Told the guys I was not prepared to leave the mill, I had expected to wait until the service was done, maybe pick their brains, stay out of the way, but be present.  I was told to see the facility owner for further info. Walked into the office but never had the opportunity to speak with Will.  The two techs had followed me and immediately told him they were willing to do my service while I waited, and get started on it at once. I wasn't expecting special treatment, but I certainly received special treatment.  See, I had pulled the mill off a nice Walnut job that I needed to get back to before the predicted bad weather got here.  Because it was my birthday, I was taking off anyway. 

Was happy and took some pride in the fact that the techs found only ONE adjustment slightly off but within tolerance, IMO.  One end of one bed rail was 1/16" inch too low. This mill is late 80's, 87 or 89, I can't remember for sure, and it was run hard by the original owner.  Took me some time to understand the very good owners/operators manual instructions and get satisfied with my adjustments.  I also run the mill hard when working and it has been a jewel. The mill required NO new parts, test cut was done by the owner followed by the techs then me.  More compliments on everything working correctly when I brought it up.

They gave me a new blade because it was my birthday.  My phone rang so often I had to excuse the interruptions.  Told them it was family and friends calling with birthday wishes and congrats.  They were very courteous about it and offered to allow speaker conversations if I wished. 

The price advertised in the email was very reasonable for such skilled workers.  I got enough pats on the back to have paid them for those and felt like I got a bargain.  Just wanted to share my good experience with you folks.  Hope my vanity didn't lessen the story.  Beautiful day, good trip home and back to the job site.  Bad weather did arrive so all my planning was correct. 

Thank you WoodMizer, thanks to the two great gentlemen who serviced my mill, thanks to the owner of the facility for working me in. 

Thank You Sponsors!