FAILURE: Blade Tensioner Thrust Bearing

Started by Riversedge, April 25, 2021, 09:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riversedge

While running my 2020 Woodland Mills HM126 today the blade tensioner thrust bearing failed rather dramatically. With the sound of a rifle shot the mill released ALL the blade tension at once. Immediately the t-handle was reversed out of the machine and dangled from its shaft. This in turn threw off the blade immediately grabbing the guide arm shield and ripping it from the machine. In the process the shield was folded up like a UFC fighter taking a dive. It also appears to have damaged the ceramic blade guides and bent the guide arm slightly. I didn't think it was possible to bend a bandsaw blade but take my word for it; It is.

Upon removal of the thrust bearing and examining it you could see that it was filled with metal shavings. I also looked at the t-handle threads and they all appeared fine. I have to say that I have been thoroughly enjoying this machine until now. With just under 12 hours on it, this is not a part that I expected to fail so flamboyantly.

Has any one else had this issue with their Woodland Mills Sawmill?

I should add that everything was properly lubed and the tension properly set per the manual.

Thanks.

Southside

Welcome to the Forum.  I would say contact Woodland.  They didn't make the bearing, they buy them, and things break - so give them the opportunity to make it right given it's such a new mill.  

By the way bands break in a similar fashion, not sure what is in the path of destruction on your mill when that happens but I have had to dig a few pointy snake pits out of my mills.   
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

btulloh

Certainly not a typical failure. Some sort of manufacturing defect. Never even heard of this type of failure. Like Southside said, call them first thing in the morning. They will be anxious to help and get the problem solved quickly. 

Sorry to see you run into such a major issue after only twelve hours. They have been very good with support over the four years I've been running that same mill. I've never had anything but a couple very minor issues but they've been all over those and even sent me free upgrades during the warranty period. 

Your problem will be more of a challenge to get sorted out but they'll get it taken care of. 
HM126

Riversedge

Thanks for the reply's. I have called and left a message for them to  call me back but I will be sure to ping them again first thing tomorrow. 

I agree this seems like a weird failure and not something very common. 

I have been so impressed with WM customer service so far. When I ordered I was told it would be 12 weeks before delivery and received it 3 weeks early. 

Riversedge

UPDATE: Woodlandmills did me right. They replaced my thrust bearing plus the T-handle, blade guide shield and my saw blade with no questions asked. 

Thank you Woodlandmills For the excellent customer service.