iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lunar Eclipse

Started by Don P, May 25, 2021, 07:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

It looks like there is a total lunar eclipse in about 9 hours, alas for most of us it's visible in NZ and Australia, a bit of AK might see it as well.

Roxie

I read that the moon will be a super moon because it will be closer to earth. We have clear sky's right now, so hopefully we'll see that tonight and tomorrow morning. 
Say when

thecfarm

I ain't gonna see nothing.  :(  All clouds.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ianab

Crisp clear night here. Full eclipse just after 11pm, so we are going to stay up.
Camera is charged, and test shots taken.

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Rain here, so we will miss it.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ianab

Definitely started. About another hour to total eclipse.

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thecfarm

Nice picture. On my way to work.  :(  Will catch up with ya tonight.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ianab

Bed time here, but we got to see the blood moon.

mike_belben

wish i knew this last night, it was a perfect moon. i was outside in it drowning worms. 
Praise The Lord

Southside

So that was YOU I chased out of the pond.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

Did my full moon give it away?  

;D
Praise The Lord

thecfarm

Thanks for the pictures.

SwampDonkey

A partial lunar eclipse (97% in the earth's shadow)  tonight at it's peak at 5:00 am Atlantic Standard time Friday morning. Begins around 3:00 am and ends 5:47 am Atlantic time. You eastern time folks take off an hour from those times. Atlantic time is further east.......than east ya know. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Hilltop366

Not looking good for any chance to see the eclipse here, giving cloud.

I did take a couple of pictures of the moon lately trying out a new camera lens.

This one was taken on the 8th of November.

This one was taken last night.

SwampDonkey

@Hilltop366 Long exposure on tripod mount?? Took me about 6 years to figure that out. Self taught. :D ;)

Hilltop366

Yes on the tripod and no on the long exposure, tried the long exposure but got too much movement (earth /moon moving not camera) , generally you get better results by under exposing the moon.

The first picture was taken after dark with a tripod iso100 / f6.3 / ss 1/50 I took another one before dark hand held that looks almost the same except a bit grainy iso 6400 /f6.3 / ss 1/2000

The second picture was taken hand held resting on a heavy chair back as the sun was setting and still a bit light out, the sky was still blue but under exposing them make the sky look black. iso 800 / f11 / ss 1/640

SwampDonkey

When I under expose the moon, everything looks darker than it is. :D Full moon hitting the ice cycles on the porch. Really light from the moon like seen by eye. Just a regular snapshot would make the yard and sky go dark and see a glowing ball.

During daylight, older 2 MP camera

Hilltop366

True, it's hard to have it both ways, either the moons over exposed or the rest is under exposed. 

One thing some do is stack photos, take one of the moon exposed right and one with the rest exposed right then keep the parts you want of each one.

I have tried long exposures for fun. This was a full moon night with thin clouds so not ideal but I kind of like it.  iso100 / f4.5 / ss 45.6 seconds.

Ianab

Tricky part is that the moon is lit up in full sunshine, but everything else in the frame is in the dark. So most cameras are going to average the scene out, and overexpose the moon, and underexpose the sky / cloud / trees etc. If you are only shooting the moon, you can manually set the camera as if it's a normal "daylight" shot. A tripod is still handy because you are zoomed in so far that ANY camera shake will be obvious. But you will be shooting at maybe 1/100 sec and other regular daytime stuff, bracing yourself on a pole might be all you need. Think about shooting the moon during the daylight? Same settings at night.

Lunar eclipses are even trickier, because the moon goes from full sunlight, to 1/2 &1/2, to all "twilight as you are watching. So once you get to a full "blood moon" you are pretty much at night time settings. Then you want the tripod because your exposures might be 1/2 second or more. 

A lot of cool looking night photos are "stacked". Two shots of the same scene, one set to expose the moon, and another the night foreground or sky. Then combine the shots with a photo editor. It's actually a better representation of what the eye would see, because we can see a lot wider range of brightness than most camera sensors. 

Ianab

Well it's started and completely cloudless tonight. Camera resting on the neighbours letterbox

Ianab

Ianab

And going to 1/20 sec exposure

Ianab

Bumping the ISO up to 1600. I should set up the tripod, but resting on the door frame is close enough ;)

SwampDonkey

Thanks for the images. Raining here. :-\ ::)

Ianab

About as close to total as it's going to get.

Thank You Sponsors!