iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

You filthy swine!

Started by mike_belben, June 25, 2021, 11:44:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

Roxie, when one of my friends was a young boy, his family raised a beef. When it was slaughtered, they opened up the stomach and there was a crescent wrench in there😂 I'm picturing his Dad out there working on something, setting his wrench on top of a fence post. Turns around to grab it, "I know I just set it here!?" And the steer goes, "burp."😂
Too many irons in the fire

mike_belben

those are garage gremlins for me.  after i stare at that very spot where i know i set it, on the 16th lap, it reappears and they snicker.

i rendered a portion of miss piggy's fattiest unmentionables (because at some point its just a sack of pig and i lost track of which part to mention) into some nice white pig butter.  havent had need of it yet, but it looks like food. one pork belly and some pig steaks are well on the way to being cured enough for the slicer.  eager to try smoked pork sandwiches.
Praise The Lord

Southside

My wife called me one day all frantic. Cow had wrapped her tongue around her hand and sucked off one of her favorite gloves and was chewing on it. She didn't appreciate my suggestion to grab her tongue (the cows) and reach in with the other hand for the glove. 

Vet laughed out loud too when she called. Never found the glove and yes a search party was dispatched. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

So was that a 5 finger discount or a pair of gloves half off?
Praise The Lord

Southside

Happened years ago and I still hear about that glove.  That cow was a natural herd boss, lost her at 21, probably 6 years ago.  They are worth their weight in gold, still don't have one as good as she was.  Of course was never able to find that particular style / pair again to replace it and they were the best fitting ones ever made...
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

barbender

That herd boss makes a frequent appearance in the elk herds I try to sneak up on. That lead cow will bust you every time!

HemlockKing

Well... crescent wrench takes the cake lol 

The most absurd thing I've seen a animal eat is a porcupine eating a beer can. 
A1

mudfarmer

Mike I don't have a dozer but that would be a 10min job including warm up if someone did? :D

They need a place to be anyway, the work gets done and like me they don't cause as much trouble if they are gainfully employed, it all works out in the end.

Crescent wrenches? 2L bottles? Gloves? Ok we will stick with pigs!!

mike_belben

I thought that was all part of a normal pig ration.. No?
Praise The Lord

barbender

The story went that they had given the animal a magnet to catch tramp metal, so the kids were all excited to see what it had picked up😂 I had to double check on the magnet part, yes there are magnets you can buy and shove down your cattle's throat😊

Nebraska

Cattle  magnet 🧲   it makes pretty stout refrigerator magnet. Used to prevent  "hardware" disease. Cattle eat dumb things.  So occasionally  a chunk of wire gets into their feed,, or any sharp random piece of ferrous  metal can sit in their front compartment of their rumen and cause issues...

Just was reading along. Have seen lead poisoning in livestock several times, junk piles in pastures with old batteries, most common cause, next is old lead paint on buildings not originally intended to house livestock. Fortunately those are becoming fewer as time passes. 

mike_belben

i was just about to write hairy vetch down as something to sow into my 2 overwintering garden beds, and found out it is toxic to chickens.  note to self, no hairy vetch for chicken.

Hairy vetch | PoultryDVM Toxic Plants A-Z

the cool season clover has come roaring back and the hunger game contests who still remain are loving that.  man they can gag down some clover. 

i bought a sack of winter wheat ($8/50lbs)for a cover crop and they only eat a little of it, wasting most which is cool because hey, theyre trampling it into the bedding and now i dont have to do the work.  im gonna try sprouting that and see if they like it as green fodder.  lot cheaper than feed right now. 
Praise The Lord

newoodguy78

That's interesting. Was just out checking fields , one mix I put down had vetch in it stuff is looking really good to my unskilled eye.

mike_belben

i read a lot and forget a lot, but im fairly confident it is one of latest cover crops you can sow leading into frost.  i have no experience with it yet. 
Praise The Lord

Southside

Every single forage is toxic.  K31 Fescue, Alfalfa, Clover, Sorguhum, Sudan Grass, Johnson Grass, etc.  Heck even tomatoes are in the Nightshade family, same as Tobacco.  Ever read the story about the guy in Salem, NJ who stood in the court house square and at a tomato in public?  It was the biggest thing that had ever happened in the town.  That area now has massive, commercial tomato farms, he basically started the industry so all yooose guys can get tomatoes for your burgers. (See what I did there  :D)  If plants weren't toxic then they would not have survived since they can't run away from all of their predators that have been around for eons.  The solution to pollution is dilution.  Many cattle have died from fescue toxicity, and many have thrived on a mix of K31 and clover.  Animals will not consume toxic forages unless they are forced to do so because there is nothing else available to them.  

Not going to tell you to plant a pure stand of vetch and set the broilers on it but we have quite a bit of vetch, we manage for it by delaying grazing in late spring on some patches until the seed has matured this way the cows will consume it and spread it for us.  I also buy and drill some in now and then as part of a rotational seed program.  This year it was two types of perinial rye and four types of clover. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

thecfarm

I used my chicken like a compost pile. Except they did the turning.  ;) 
 I brought a bunch of tomatoes tipping to them. They was all excited when I walked up to the pen. I opened the door and throw them down and they started towards the pile and silence and they walked away!!! 
 I asked around and heard about Nightshade. Chickens are not all that dumb!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Southside

No they aren't dumb, but they do spend all day trying to figure out creative ways to die.

Rolling along with 30,000 lbs of tractor and disc harrow they will just mosy between the 25" steel discs without a care in the world. 

You can hear them talking "Oooh, did you see how Cruella got smooshed by the big green thing?" "I know that was quite fabulous, myself I am going to lunge in front of the yellow machine with tracks and hope to make a splash".

"You stupid $@&!!* birds" is heard around here often.  ;D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

barbender

I thought had the thought that horses were the champions of the "creative way to die" contest, but the I remembered, silly me- horses are the champions of the "creative ways to get injured and cause a huge vet bill" contest.

Southside

Guinea Fowl, now THAT'S a whole 'nother level of stupid! 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

newoodguy78

And obnoxiously absurd noise...

mike_belben

Since my dogs have invented one really great way to kill chickens, im burdened with the stationary pen and theyre only eating what im feeding so it important i dont fill the thing with the wrong stuff.  My birds all played lots of cherry tomato rugby and all lived to die by dog instead. 

Right now cool clovers are coming back and i cant feed them enough of it.  It is top choice of anything at all.  Theyre leaving a lot of corn and wheat seed in the bedding which hopefully will become its own cover crop when i move coop to the next location sometime after these birds give me some feedback on the plucker i need to build soon. 
Praise The Lord

Southside

Bought my first Guinneas about a decade ago.  I think we got 10.  Put them into dog crates in the bed of the truck and on the way home stopped at Golden Corral to get some supper.  Parked way in the back of the lot and sat where we could keep an eye on the truck.  It was actually entertaining to see someone walking across the parking lot when suddenly they would stop dead in their tracks, jump in the air, and look all around trying to figure out just what was making that noise and where on Earth it was coming from.  

One or two cautiously walked over to the truck to get a closer look but most just hurried along, clearly in fear that a Velociraptor was about to descend upon them.   :o
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

newoodguy78

Did a job at a farm 2-3 years ago that had some. If the one sole purpose of that breed was to drive me crazy they're a full blown success. Listened to them ALL. DAY. LONG. Every stinking day I was there. Amazing people to work for but their birds racket still rings in my ears.

newoodguy78

Quote from: Southside on October 29, 2021, 02:16:59 PM
Bought my first Guinneas about a decade ago.  I think we got 10.  Put them into dog crates in the bed of the truck and on the way home stopped at Golden Corral to get some supper.  Parked way in the back of the lot and sat where we could keep an eye on the truck.  It was actually entertaining to see someone walking across the parking lot when suddenly they would stop dead in their tracks, jump in the air, and look all around trying to figure out just what was making that noise and where on Earth it was coming from.  

One or two cautiously walked over to the truck to get a closer look but most just hurried along, clearly in fear that a Velociraptor was about to descend upon them.   :o
Good thing there wasn't a peacock in the mix, someone would've surely had the big one  :D

Thank You Sponsors!