iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Proud grandpa

Started by maple flats, November 28, 2021, 02:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maple flats

My then 12 yr old grandson went hunting during a special youth season a few weeks back, with his other grandpa and he got a 5 pt buck.
Then this morning I took him hunting in my blueberry fields, trying to get a doe. Well, he did, he got a very large doe at about 35 yds. Both of these deer were shot with his other grandpa's 270, and both were 1 shot kills. He is now 13 and I dare say he's already a seasoned hunter.
He was in total control and  was totally safe all of the way, congratulations Logan. (by the way, Logan helped my start assembling my new sawmill, before his football practice started).
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

SwampDonkey

Good on him. And two proud grampas to boot.

'to boot' means extra or to add to it. Old English. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Roxie

Way to go Landon and grandpa's!  
Say when

thecfarm

Lucky you to have him and lucky him to have you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

maple flats

We had the first steaks from his deer last night, unfortunately it was the first deer in over 60 that I've had to eat that was extremely tough. We'll grind the rest and make it into sausage. We like sausage!
Also, it's still 1 less deer feeding on the blueberry buds from about mid January until full bloom. According to an article I read from I believe Michigan State university (about 20 years ago) an adult deer consumes enough buds as they swell leading up to blossom time that they reduce the crop by over $1000.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

maple flats

My wife tried canning a batch of the tough venison, it came out tender and tasty. The only issue now will be if someone wants a rare or medium rare steak, it won't happen.

doc henderson

Maple how do you get the antlers in the jar?...   :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

coalsmok

Canning is one of my favorite ways to process a deer. Tough or tender, it's all good once it's been canned. Warmed up with bbq sauce makes some good sandwiches in a hurry when company shows up. 

Tacotodd

Doc, be careful what you ask for (regarding the antlers), you just might get an answer that you don't like :D :-\
Trying harder everyday.

maple flats

I've heard of antlered does, but alas, I've seen none. As I frequently say, you can't eat antlers.

maple flats

Quote from: doc henderson on December 03, 2021, 09:51:06 PM
Maple how do you get the antlers in the jar?...   :)
Doc, not many does have antlers, in fact I've never seen one I knew to be a doe with antlers, but I've heard of it happening on rare occasions.

maple flats

I took my grandson, now 13 hunting again this morning, this time, it was his first ever muzzleloader hunt. The only thing we saw was a red fox out shopping for breakfast. We watched it for about a minute before it disappeared down a blueberry row. Likely looking for mice, I hope he got his fill.

Thank You Sponsors!