Forum > Forest Education

Carbon Offset Programs - Interesting Article

(1/3) > >>

peakbagger:
Maine specific but an interesting read.  

Maineís large landowners arenít participating in carbon offset programs (themainemonitor.org)

There is lot of activity in Vermont with these programs, I think many of the VT transactions are non profit groups with preservation goals using the sale of offsets to purchase blocks of land that really had no intent to even cut the lots. This has happened to a lesser extent in Maine, but between Irving, John Mallone and Bayroot fewer large blocks come up. 

NS_HuntNFarm:
There was big talk around carbon pricing to take hold in Nova Scotia. I am not sure what became of it but some larger woodlot groups were looking at the financial opportunities associated with woodlot management strategies around carbon capture/credits. We have to regulate carbon pricing provincially through some sort of tax or be forced into the federal dictated system. The last I heard we were going with a cap and trade system. This would have been beneficial to woodlot owners wanting to participate in carbon capture management. I am sure there will be more buzz in the coming years around this. I probably should have kept up on it a bit better. 

kantuckid:
Yesterday I talked with a rep from Forest Carbon Works discussing their long-term approach to marketing private forest carbon credits. They send an agent to your property for certification and pay per acre, annually on a long term basis for forest carbon credits. Not per credit as does NCX. 
A typical contract is 25 years which makes sense for a forest thats not going to offer a harvest, or an owner having no intent to harvest in the near term future.
 They come up on any carbon credits google search.  

SwampDonkey:
There was a lot of 'talk' here in NB with woodlot groups 20 years ago. I don't know of anyone participating or getting any benefit from it. One news article was group buying an old family woodlot to manage for credits, they weren't going to give any money to the family, other then the family sold the land to the group. There was no money for them to own the land and put the land into the scheme. I'll guarantee that there wasn't 1% woodlot owner participation, as in other land owners. ;D

Ron Scott:
Take care not to "tie up" your valued timber lands for a long period of time. Be aware of the long-term commitments, often 25 years.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Sitemap