Debarking with a chipping hammer

Started by wooddog setter, October 12, 2022, 07:45:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wooddog setter

I recommend it.

After having my right knee replaced in May my Road build and first cut of White Pines on my property was bumped until the first week of September. Looking at the outlook of summer cut logs and attempting to pull the bark off with a dry knife or spud bar proved to be a painful task to my already beat up 59 year old carpenters body. Years ago I saw in a forum somebody had mentioned the chipping hammer but there was no other information or video I could find if it was successful.
It was extremely successful!!
I went through September cut logs that were 20 and 15 feet long at an 1 hour to 1-1/2 hr apiece. I took a Milwaukee small hammer drill with a 4" floor chisel and could not believe my aging body. I then had a cordless DeWalt sawzall to clean the knots up tighter to the log surface and then tuned up with a drawknife to get cambium off. 
I know the hard work in hand peeled as I built my first log cabin on a Minnesota outward bound in 1982. 
Not to undermine those folks who pain staking have built their cabins and spent the hard hours peeling but this method works great and saves the body and joints. 

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

kantuckid

Glad that worked OK for you, but I'd take a drawknife and straddling a log cowboy style anytime over a vibrating tool. I used two sawhorses and a FEL to peel lots of EWP logs lately. My home was all done astraddle the ~ 300 each SYP logs, albeit with much younger back, knees and hands. :D 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

wooddog setter

Thanks kantuckid, 
If I was a younger man I would be knifing myself, unfortunately age, 5 hours distance from home and time is all a factor. I'm righty and suffer a dog bite injury attack by to mastiffs last summer, tendinitis and torn shoulder. I'm a professional physical train wreck. But you walk this planet once and live each day as it's my last.
Wise ass question - did you cut those trees by chainsaw or axe?

barbender

There's times when bark slicks off nicely with a draw knife, and times I is like concrete. If you are peeling in a Minnesota winter, I think that chipper would work great!

doc henderson

I use a spud for logs, and draw knives for live edge stuff.  I glue some back on if i want it on, and have had a few (winter harvested I guess) logs sand even live edge that you would have thought I was carving the wood.  a little age and weather are you friend if removing bark.  I like it when I pick up a log with a  grapple bucket, and all the bark falls off in sheets.  I have used slicks and even compressed air for the fine stuff like the inner bark of ERC.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

kantuckid

Quote from: barbender on October 13, 2022, 12:35:27 PM
There's times when bark slicks off nicely with a draw knife, and times I is like concrete. If you are peeling in a Minnesota winter, I think that chipper would work great!
Brrrrrr.... ;D
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Don P

We debarked for the best part of a year on a barn project a few years ago. We started with tight bark and tough going early spring. It got to where the bark wanted to come off by summer and we were battling more and more every day as we entered Fall.

I used a demo hammer to remove a form thinking problem the other day, after a french farewell all that was left was kindling  :D.

wooddog setter

I saw I can not  post a video to show the ease of the chipping hammer. I agree the physical gratitude of draw knife and log can be a bliss of old way accomplishment but when you are physically worn with construction injuries, this is true bliss for me. 
I'm debarking 20 foot plus logs in an hour and clean up with the draw knife. I'm setting up a web page and links for this project  in the next months for folks to check out.

I'm averaging 1 hour with the chipping hammer and then another 10 minutes with draw knife to remove the rest of the cambium. My wrist hurts still do to a dog bite and nerve damage but I'm slowly moving forward. I could not do this with a draw knife with my condition. I see you can't post videos here but in months to come I'll post some links

Jim_Rogers

To post a video, first upload it to your YouTube channel. Then go there and copy the link under the "share" button. Post that link in your reply and the system will automatically insert your video to the post.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Southside

Where are you doing the work?  I know you said 5 hours from home, just curious where all that funny white ground is.  When I read the title at first I pictured a welding style chipping hammer and thought "Oh my, that's going to be a while".   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

The amount of white stuff matches northeast Minnesota's right now.

Southside

My T shirt is getting warm standing here in the sun.  :D
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

barbender

I hope you get a nasty November sunburn on top of your pale white head😁😁

Southside

That's bald, pale, white, head to you. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

barbender

I didn't want to overstate the obvious😁