iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grandpa's 024 AVS

Started by pearsonm, December 14, 2013, 02:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pearsonm

Hello all,

First off, thank you for the accumulated knowledge I have received from lurking over the past few months. You all are a wealth of old-school knowledge mixed with a new-age way of communicating it all complete with emoticons!   :D A perfect marriage of new and old in my opinion.

I am currently making my first desk job survivable by dreaming of the day I can buy a farm with a woodlot back on the dead-end boondocks I grew up on. Paid for university (with help from parents; good folks and they deserve a nod) by working on a farm back home for 60+ hours a week only to find that I miss it now that I have the "dream job" after graduating. Such is life.

The chainsaw I started with at 15, almost 10 years ago (as soon as my mother would let me) has been my after work project for the last little while. It is a Stihl 024 AVS Woodboss inherited from my Opa (Grandfather in Dutch) that has been crippled by my youthful ignorance and years of hard use by him. A badly burnt P/C has been replaced with one from an 026 (thank you Sawtroll and Dozerdan for the info on how a 026 P/C fits a 024 Super) and the fuel lines, air filter and carb kit is in the process of being replaced.

Here is my question and potential problem: I am not confident of the original cause of the scoring.

I originally thought that it may have been bad gas that I put in or a tired air filter but when I pulled of the cylinder I found what I would describe as corrosion in the crank case. Pitting and flaking of the paint-like coating around the lip of the cylinder mount and a significant amount of the same where the impulse hose enters the case. I removed loose material with a small screw driver and flushed with mixed gas but when I pulled the jug off I found more junk in the case. After a second repetition, same result but a bit less stuff.

Am I doomed?

Mike from Ontario

Al_Smith

I don't know about doomed in the true sense of the word .It's some kind of an e-coat which I assume is to inhibit corrossion.

Weather it's common to flake off I have no idea . I just took a jaunt to the garage and eyeballed a set of 034 cases and some of it was flaked off .That saw died of a lean burn though ,flakes had nothing to do with it .

pearsonm

Doomed as in "inevitable destruction or ruin" with regard to my efforts in having a good running saw, not Judgment Day   ;D

Thanks for checking your stable Al, do you think that those flakes could get stuck in the exhaust port area and cause serious scoring?

Also, just out of curiosity, I have read a lot about lean seizing and how an experienced person can tell by the feel or sound of the saw but no particulars. What are the symptoms?

Al_Smith

If it's seized already it's too late .The symptoms are running out lean after a few minutes of running at speed .Richen it up  and it only progessively gets worse as time goes on .Let it cool off it will run okay for a short period then start it all over again---bad seals .

Al_Smith

Now the flakey e-coat or whatever it is .Quite honestly I've never ran into it before or just didn't pay any attention to it ,over looked whatever .

What to do,don't know.Maybe lift the cylinder and fill the crankcase with fuel. Let it sit a day,swish it around and dump it out .Let the engine sit upside down for a day to drain out and put it back together

I suppose you could split the cases and give it a physic if it bothers you that much .

thecfarm

pearsonm,welcome to the forum.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pearsonm

pearsonm

Took me longer to figure out how to upload a picture than it did to break down the saw  >:(

beenthere

Well, you did real good with the pic. We like pics, and a big welcome to the Forestry Forum. smiley_thumbsup
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!