Forum > Forest Education

Wood Science 101?

(1/12) > >>

Don P:
 I was wondering if there is interest in something like "Wood Science 101". The reason I ask is in my log home business I deal with average people who need a resource of clear,accurate, understandable info on the hows and whys of basic wood science.
Topics that come to mind, How and why does wood shrink, relationships between humidity and size, why and how wood rots...:P?????

Ron Wenrich:
Topics like that will scare the living daylights out of them.  :D

I hate to direct you to other sites, since this one has all you need, but www.woodweb.com does have a lot of useful information.  

Jeff:
EUUUURJ:J:JAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

With that out of my system, Ron is right, they do have a great site. BUT LIMITED, THEY DON'T HAVE................................... .......
....................................... .......
.................me

Jeff:
I think you under estimate the general public. I am the general public, and that stuff interests me. You do not have to have a college degree to seek and understand applicable information in a subject of interest.

Don P:
I agree with both points. I'll just send the brave ones.;D
8)My first question has to do with shrinkage. I know that denser species shrink more than woods with a low specific gravity. My next leap of logic is that I assume denser pieces of wood within a species should shrink more than less dense pieces. So, if I am faced with 2 logs one has a zillion growth rings per inch the other has 4 rings per inch, which log is denser? Which will shrink more?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Sitemap