iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Identify this old machinery

Started by VooDooChikin04, May 10, 2020, 04:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VooDooChikin04

I picked this up today for $100.  It has a bandsaw attached to the end which has 16" wheels and dry rotted tires.  The bandsaw is attached to a 2hp 220v motor which spins smooth but the bearings in the motor make noise. The saw bearings are smooth as glass.  Next we have another 220volt 1.5hp singlephase motor that is driving both the jointer (appears to be 6" with a 4 blade head) and the table saw arbor.  This thing is heavy!  Guy i got it from said his tractor can lift 1500lbs reliably and this saw was tipping up his rear end. half the frame is rivited and the bolts are use square nuts.  The saw also has an older appears to be magnetic cutler/hammer on off control.

My original plan was to separate the bandsaw and convert to do steel plate work with it, BUT idk if it is heavy enough for that.  

Any ideas if this was cobbled together or a branded unit? 

Curious of your guys thoughts!!

low_48

Never seen one on a stand like that, but might be a Crescent Universal Woodworker.

VooDooChikin04

IF its a crescent, then the original bandsaw is replaced with this one. I cant find any markings nor any pictures online to match this setup.  The crescents i've seen have a very distinct bandsaw on them.  But it could be!

doc henderson

it looks awkward to move, but does not look that heavy.  It may be the original shop smith.  may need to go into the Voodoochicken hall of fame and museum.  I am sure if anyone can rebuild it, you can.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

VooDooChikin04

I cant budge it no matter how hard I try. Its extremely heavy, yet doesnt look so.
I'm on the fence about it, it's cool and would look slick all restored. (which restoring old equipment is something I dabble in). But I want to get this sawmill off the ground and rolling forward. I'd sure hate to scrap this unique item. I already have a JET clone 6" jointer and working on building a 15" jointer, so I dont really need the jointing section nor the tablesaw portion of this.  That 1.5hp motor is larger than the 3hp on my planer. Not sure if thats because its so much older or if its capable of a lot of torque due to the larger structure. idk?

doc henderson

I guess with 2 motors and all that cast it could add up fast.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

farmfromkansas

That motor must be rated in Work Horses, like Grandpa used.  Not shetland ponies.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

samandothers

Just looking at the jointer is kind of scary!  Thanks for sharing the picture.

Rob in WNY

Thank You Sponsors!