iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chain sharpening .404 / .080 ga Stihl USG

Started by Jasperfield, September 27, 2008, 11:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasperfield

I'd like some advice on using Stihl's USG grinder to sharpen WoodsmanPro .404 / .080 guage harvester chain. The chain is used on a hydraulic saw. 

I'd like to know if any of you use this grinder to sharpen harvester chain, and what angle settings you use. I have Stihl's angle chart (0457 716 0000 C05) and am satisfied that I'm Stihl missing something.

My long-time good dealer's shop says "...Just set everything at 30 degrees."

Well, I just don't know. Some of y'all know how to sharpen these things.

Thank you,

Jasperfield

Gary_C

I know nothing of the Stihl grinder as I have the standard Oregon grinder. I use the settings for the Oregon 18H for both Oregon Chain and Woodsman Pro Chain. Those settings are:

Top Plate Cutting Angle (grinder wheel angle-vertical)          60 Deg

Top Plate Filing Angle  (vice angle-horizontal)                      35 Deg

Depth Gauge Setting                                                          0.50 inches

According to the Oregon Handbook the only variations from those settings you should make are:

Delay Depth Gauge Setting until -0.10" (0.40") setting is achieved when cutting in frozen wood.

Top Plate Filing angle can be Factory +5 deg for softwoods and factory -5 for frozen wood.

However I never change settings from the factory standard.       
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Kevin

You should be able the put the chain in the vise and line up the wheel to get close and then see where you are compared to the factory specs.

Thank You Sponsors!