iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

518 cat skidder

Started by coxy, July 23, 2019, 01:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

does anyone know where i can find a used tranny case the drive shaft broke and put a fist size hole in the bottom of the case they are discontinued from cat nice thanks 

mills

Dang it boy! :-\ 
Has to be some parts machines laying around somewhere, but I don't know of any off hand. All of them that I know of are still running. I'll look around as I get time.

coxy

thanks I think im going to go back to my old case 300 everything was cheaper and a lot nicer to find ;D

kiko

What is the serial number of the tractor and transmission arrangement number if you have it ?

BAN

Had this happen before.  We built a plate with gasket, drilled 4 bolt holes and covered it. Ran it a few more years with no problem.  Hopefully hole is on a flat surface like ours.

coxy

kiko where do you find the tranny numbers thanks

coxy

coxy

kiko sent you a pm thanks paul

log cutter

To bad you're on the opposite side of the country. I have a used transmission and torque converter sitting in my shop. I've heard of guys who have found the pieces. Drop the belly pan and used a loader to roll it over on its side and weld the pieces back in the housing. Not that I recommend that but have heard of it being done. 
Timbco 475E

Riwaka

Might be a direction to locate the biggest pile of used 518 transmissions, so the seller does not feel the same need to ratchet up the price as high as possible if they have only one to sell. 
http://www.sewlparts.net/default.htm 
Swap components with yours or rebuild, then probably rig test or not.
Caterpillar Transmission | Reconditioned and Rebuilt Transmissions | H&R Construction Equipment Parts

either that or figure out how to put a clark etc transmission in or something.
All likely to lighten the wallet compared to 'cover the hole'.

Skeans1

You might try Farley Tractor in Washington as well as Superior parts if I remember the name right do you have the part number? From memory you could do a part number search on machinery trader.

mike_belben

Cast iron case?  

Nyrod 99,  Preheat, interpass heat, post heat, reassemble.  

Praise The Lord

coxy

man mike wish you would say what you say in English  :D :D :D :D ;D 8) 8) but I figured it out  :)

mike_belben

Its coded so you wont try it until you understand it  :wink:
Praise The Lord

coxy

did you get my pm mike 

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: coxy on July 24, 2019, 03:10:30 PM
man mike wish you would say what you say in English  :D :D :D :D ;D 8) 8) but I figured it out  :)
I dunno, I thought he was clear and succinct. 
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Justalogger

Had same thing happen to my 518c about 3 months ago had a guy come out and he made a plate to cover it and he put 4 taps in it and used black silicone cause it's more oil resistant it works great. I bought a complete transmission out of a 518c I thought i needed but only used the torque converter I may sell it if someone needs it it's basically brand new

mike_belben

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on July 24, 2019, 04:42:42 PM
Quote from: coxy on July 24, 2019, 03:10:30 PM
man mike wish you would say what you say in English  :D :D :D :D ;D 8) 8) but I figured it out  :)
I dunno, I thought he was clear and succinct.
Coxy is one of those rare NY hillbillies.  They still make a few of them every year, limited edition.  
Praise The Lord

coxy

we found a center section for the tranny it should be here next week thanks for all the help but we are still looking for a spare seeing  we have 3 518s and it sounds like a common thing you can never have enough parts  again thanks for the help 

Thank You Sponsors!