iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Board Feet Tally

Started by chickenchaser, October 05, 2013, 10:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tazz

When I am sawing I keep a tally of the total dimensions of the cant after squared up. width x height x length and add up the bdft that way. I know you loose the kerf of the blade but any extra boards that come off in the process of squaring the log I throw in for free. This seems to be the easiest and quickest way for me to calculate the output and the customers have not had a problem with it.

SawyerBrown

How do y'all count boards that aren't even numbers?  Like if it was 7 1/2" by 10 1/2' long?  Do you round down to 7" x 10', round up to 8" x 11', or kind of shoot in the middle?  I've always rounded down, I figure going the other way isn't really fair to the customer, and if I'm going to get into fractions, then how precise are we going to get?  1/2"?  1/4"?  1/8"??  At some point, putting the decimal points in the calculator isn't worth the time ...
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

beenthere

If sawing random width lumber, the conventional for hardwood lumber scaling is to go up if over the half, down if under the half. Right on the half, then throw one up, the next down.

Have to watch if sawing and selling a lot of green lumber based on scale, that after drying the ones just over the half don't shrink and fall below the half as can lose both from total bf tally as well as losing grade.

But likely not a big worry on smaller size operations.

I'd think just scaling the log before sawing it on the Int'l scale and go with that board footage (but use the net scale, not the gross scale). Will come out very close and save time if that is of interest.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SawyerBrown

I'm just a small guy mostly cutting lumber for local woodworkers, etc ... I haven't gotten into grade lumber, since it's all for their own use.  I just want to make sure I'm giving them a fair shake while getting paid fairly for the work.

By the way, I don't feel too bad about making absolutely sure I'm not overcharging.  Probably half of the work I do is cutting walnut, and a lot of the people I work for know what they pay for the stuff at the local lumber yard for their woodworking projects ($9+ / bdft), so they consider my bill a real bargain for what they're getting, and many times they'll throw in a "tip", which is very much appreciated of course.  I find this especially true when they're off-loading plus all the downstream work ... they appreciate how hard we work!
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

woodmills1

traditional is only even length logs in 2 foot incriments starting at 8 foot  (8'6")
and only even widths from 4 for some species but most at 6"

I only count logs in even lengths at 2 foot intervals  IE 8 10 12 etc, always rounding down  so 9 foot 11 is an 8 foot log needs to be 10 foot 4 at least to be a 10 foot board

but I do measure actual width to the inch 6 inch is 6 inch  6 and 3/4 is 6 inch but I do count 7 inch
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

drobertson

I feel obligated to answer redoakslumber's question as to tallying as you go.  I will usually go by the log, a few seconds of hash marks and load the next log,  for random widths it usually goes by the stack, give and taking for any gaps that might be present in any given layer, 4x's and any other misc beams will be recorded accordingly.  I don't run a high speed low drag operation, but rather a more precision rough cut operation.
rough is a relative term, most folks are amazed in the finish, as most band mill operators have experienced.
Some folks really don't care, they figure it out as they go, others appreciate an accurate tally.  It makes little difference for me, one is as easy as the other,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

woodmills1

yes yes yes
my customers love the detail of information I give them
and as I said it fills need to state report
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

red oaks lumber

the way i saw there is no way to tally while sawing. i have compared my 2 ways of measure, block scale and board scale  both ways are very close so, i save my measure time for sawing.
log procurement is huge! when sawing its 8' or 12' or 16' not 1 log 8' another maybe 12' to me thats just foolish :(
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

drobertson

Most definitely, unless it is a small short job, then the long ones go first.  Otherwise logs are sorted by length and stacked by length,  mixing log lengths on the deck is a recipe for headaches for sure, Whatever works for both parties is the best case scenario,  lumber and happy customers is the end product.     david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: red oaks lumber on October 07, 2013, 06:33:54 PM
if you guys are sawing to full capacity how do you have time to grab a pencil let alone write with it? i know i can't, i dont even have time to drink anything.
I agree this

When tallying at the end of the shift a computer print out was just a simple click but that was running 1,400- 1,500 blocks per shift.
average production between 250,000 and 400,000 bft per shift,

I find i have enough to think about, like how is this saw running rather then how much i have produced. tried the clipboard in the rain thing, not for me, I tally at the end of the day or when the load moves, i tally by stacks and write on the stack with a lumber crayon that i keep handy all day long then total, customer can assit in tallying if they like.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Thank You Sponsors!