iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Three Trees With One Blow

Started by WDH, June 10, 2007, 07:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgy Loner

Good to hear that the hickory made it through the year.  I had a similar experience with some small black walnuts I transplanted last spring - the leaves turned brown and fell off a little too soon in the fall, so I was afraid they were goners.  They're leafing out nicely this spring, though!  Perhaps they were just going to bed early, like I do after a stressful day?  ??? :P

PS - I am saving my back until the 26th. ;)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

Quote from: straightree on April 13, 2008, 01:52:59 PM
Like everybody, I am very pleased to see a clean understory, but .... I also like to see some life in it. In some place, I have read that a forest is not a park, nor a collection of trees, as beutifull as they may be. Wild life, bio diversity, should not us care about that?

Straightree,

This area is fairly close to my house, so we keep the brush biodiversity down on purpose. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

straightree

WDH,

it was just a general remark, not ment for you. Later, I realized that it was quite out of context. Sorry.

WDH

I thought it was a perceptive and very valid comment.  You make a good point.  What looks good to us may not look so good to the other fauna.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Darin

I didn't see this info in the thread, so I wiil add that there is a generic Garlon4. Its called Tahoe 4E. Last fall I put down 15 gallons of premixed Garlon 4 for a cost of $600. At that rate I estimate it would cost me about $15,000 to do my  woodlot with Garlon 4. I had to find a cheaper way.

Darin

SwampDonkey

I don't understand the reasoning to kill the undergrowth unless your making parkland. If I had to spend $15,000 on spray every 5 years I think I'd find a better place for my money.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Darin

Undergrowth?

I wasn't even spraying the undergrowth, that was just for spraying the red maple.

beenthere

Darin
Where do you get the Tahoe 4E ??

online, by chance   ???
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Darin

I haven't ordered any yet, but try here.

http://www.rrsi.com/index.php?act=products.view&pid=373

Company name is RedRiver Specialties.

I'm hoping to get the next batch that I need from the state. I was supposed to pick some up this month but I will not be able to use it at this time. Maybe in June. I'm hoping  the biologist saves it for me.

Darin

SwampDonkey

OH! Red maple clumps then? I read this thread some time ago, but the memory cells leaked out.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Darin

OH! Red maple clumps then? I read this thread some time ago, but the memory cells leaked out.

Well my memory cells  have started leaking also, but I don't think I have posted on this before, but 
yes I have lots of Red Maple sprouts sometime as many as 12 to 15 per stump sprout.

By the way I like the underbrush. Good for the critters.

Darin

WDH

Update:

The hickory is still alive, but barely.  There is only about 10% of the crown supporting green growth.  Alas, I fear the worst.  I will take a pic and post for those who have followed this thread.

customsawyer

I am just going to add a little something to this and that is be careful and remember that Garlon4 vaporizes at 91 degrees and if you are near cotton you should get worried.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

Well, the old girl gave up the ghost.  She is dead as a hammer.  Took four years for the deed to be done.  It is too far gone to saw now as the bugs have hit it hard, and they love hickory.  The woodpeckers are loving it, though  :).  Nature takes its course.

WDH

Update.

The power company decided that the dead hickory was a menace to the power lines and sent in a crew to remove it.  Turns out that it was not as rotten as I thought.  There is some spalting, and it looks like I might get some "lumber with character" out of some portion of the bole.  Anyway, now she is down.

There was also a big southern red oak that was/is a victim of the drought that is also a menace to the power line, so they decided to take it down too.  Diameter just shy of 4 feet.

This one scares me and the little LT15, the tractor, the chainsaw, and everything else that I own :).  The final felling will take place this morning.  I have never split a log with a chainsaw before, but I have seen Jake (Customsawyer) do it.  That does not mean that I can just go and do it because Jake is sneaky good at it so that he makes it look easy  :-\.  It is nice to be gifted.  Plus, the 20" bar on the MS361 will not be long enough for the job. 

Opportunities  :).

Magicman

That Hickory is going to make that LT15 squeal, or maybe that will be you squealing.   :D

Quote from: WDH on November 30, 2011, 07:31:09 AM
Plus, the 20" bar on the MS361 will not be long enough for the job. 

I would be considering 1/3's.  You could then take the pith out of the center 1/3, lay it flat and virtually all of the lumber would be QS.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

customsawyer

Don't need to be scared when you have friends. What are friends for if you can't use them?
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

metalspinner

That truck looks kinda small parked next to that tree. :o

I see a couple hollow branches up high in the oak.  Hopefully, the hollow doesn't travel down all the way.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

WDH

Chris,

The big red oak is down, and the butt log is cut at 9.5 feet.  She is solid as a rock.  This clean-up will be a bear :)

BTW, I have a friend that is awesome  8).

customsawyer

If the first log is 9.5' how many logs did you get that were solid?
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

Two, but the second one is shorter and very crotchety.

Thank You Sponsors!