iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Today's Project, Walnut Case for my Sweethearts

Started by Andy White, June 21, 2014, 06:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy White

After turning my mallet, and flattening backs and sharpening my chisels, I couldn't stick them in a drawer to get damaged. I need a case!! To the rack , and a board was calling my name. Does your lumber "talk" to you? Cut 5 boards 20" and 2 at 14", for the top, front, back, and ends. Jointed and planed down to 11/16" tk.

Picked best grain for top. Took all boards to the benchtop planer for final sizing to 1/2" tk. Spent the next hour setting up the drawer lock bit! If using any stock less than 3/4", the setup block is useless! These are adjusted up, down, in and out at very small increments until trial stock fits like you like it.

Cut dado for the bottom and cut the plywood for it and installed it. After looking at the bottom, I realized I cut it with the grain running front to back rather than end to end!! Didn't have enough to cut another, and it will be covered with a foam liner anyway. Time for the top. Picked the p-attern I liked and glued them up.

Next week, I will rabbet and bead the top panel, and glue it to the case, and start the sanding process.
This one will use BLO buffed and paste wax after. Then the foam rubber, and chisels and mallet will have a safe place to live.       8) 8) Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Next week? I'm wanting to see more this box project tonight! I love the corner joints Andy!  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

I have never used those drawer corner joints before, although I do have a bit set to do it. 

Your chisels and mallets will be well pleased. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bill Gaiche

Lookin good Andy. Everything needs a good home and you are the provider. Thanks for sharing. bg

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Andy White on June 21, 2014, 06:58:25 PM
... Spent the next hour setting up the drawer lock bit! If using any stock less than 3/4", the setup block is useless! These are adjusted up, down, in and out at very small increments until trial stock fits like you like it.

Andy,

Try these Lock Miter Master Jigs (http://www.infinitytools.com/2-Pc-Lock-Miter-Master-Jig-Set-For-3_8-1-3_16-Stock/productinfo/00-LMM/) from Infinity Tools. They make the setup much easier...

Herb

Oppps!!! Ignore that remark. Those jigs are for Lock Miter Joint bits, not Drawer Lock Joint bits...

but they do work real good for lock miter joints...   ;D ;D ;D

Herb

WDH

I tried to use them once, then gave up on them. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Lud

To quote the Raylettes, " So fine, so fine, so fine.." 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

dablack

Everyone is going to be mad at Andy when they give it a try and it is much harder than Andy makes it look. 

Can't wait to see this come together.

Austin
Building my own house in East TX

Andy White

Picked up after a long week at home, and decided to finish the new case today. Cut the rabbet on bottom of top panel. Fit was good, so glued and clamped top to case.

After drying, time to cut top off and morticed for the hinge. Attached top to case and liked the fit up, sometimes the fit don't work right with a piano hinge, that's why the mortice on the case side only.

Cut and installed handles , bunch of sanding to 220 grit, cause 400 would be too much sugar for a dime.{old saying} Next was layout and cut the foam insert, and fit the chisels and mallet in relief cuts. Cleaned every thing up, and put the boiled linseed oil to it. OMG what a change!! don't even look like the same box. Three coats of paste wax, and install the tools, and it's DONE!! I think I like it.

Next project will be after pig roast trip.       Andy 8) 8) 8)
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Texas Ranger

Mallet looks like Lignum vitae,  but must be osage orange
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

WDH

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!