iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Five Ethanol Myths, Busted - By Forrest Jehlik, Argonne National Laboratory

Started by submarinesailor, July 06, 2011, 06:12:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al_Smith

At one time the state of Ohio required the listing on the gas pump at the service station stating the blend mix . Evidently that is not a requrement any more .
During winter for example the gasoline contained a higher percentage of ethanol .The milage went down a tad but nobody had a fuel line freeze up like back in the 60's when you had to use "dry gas " else you would get a frozen fuel line .How many remember  "Boron " with ice guard ?

I'm not saying it's all bad ,it's just the way they are going about it .FWIW the more modern engines are by design made to run higher percentages of ethanol than the good old '57 Chevy .

Mumbling and grumbling ,it's not going to go away unless somebody comes up with a way to burn water for auto fuel .Then hang on to your hat they will tax the water you drink on their way to taxing the air you breathe .

tyb525

Ethanol is an alternative to oil, yes. But it does nothing to reduce the price of gas, or improve the economy in any way. If all the corn in the USA was made into ethanol, it wouldn't come close to replacing oil. We need corn for other things. Some other alternative needs to be found, instead of wasting time and money on ethanol.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Kansas

41% of all corn grown in the world is grown in the USA. 20% of that is exported. Ethanol does not affect the price all that much, from any studies I have seen. Yes, it has an impact. But its not a huge impact. Sugar beets are grown here in the states. But sugar production is heavily propped up with subsidies. We pay for it in higher costs for candy and other products as consumers. I would think, but don't know for sure, that if sugar beets were a better alternative than corn for ethanol production it would already be being used. Brazil uses sugar cane, and can produce ethanol at a lower price than we can from corn. However, it seems to me the marketplace needs to dictate eventually the ethanol market. Anything that means less oil imported from another country that can compete with that oil price wise needs to be promoted and exploited. All those ethanol plants employ a lot of people. Rather have them working than someone in Saudi Arabia.

Norm

Some good points Kansas. Seems that us that live and work with corn crops might have a better idea of what's going on then those that learn it on the evening news.

I always laugh when someone talks about the powerful corn lobby. No such thing as farmers are loath to band together for anything, much too independent for that. Rates right up there with corporate farms which are so few they are not worth mentioning.

SwampDonkey

One thing you over look is oil price whether it comes from the US or Canada, Mexico or Saudi Arabia is a global commodity and having it all come from home doesn't make much difference. We export way more of it than we consume in Canada, but our prices don't go down. So if that's the line of thinking, that domestic oil means cheaper at the pump, I wouldn't hold my breath for it. Sure those Saudi's can influence the price, but so can we in Canada or Mexico. One of the troubles is supply disruptions, that could be alleviated by new additional refineries, but the companies know full well that doing that cuts into their profits when other refineries and rigs are shut down for damages and maintenance. How many times have the prices spiked when damages occur to drilling rigs and maintenance shutdowns? A whole bunch of times. There is lots of lobby against new refineries and drilling within your own borders.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

JimTwoSticks

Norm,
QuoteI always laugh when someone talks about the powerful corn lobby. No such thing as farmers are loath to band together for anything, much too independent for that.
Who said anything about farmers being in the "corn lobby"? The corn lobby is primarily made up of middle men and end product users (corn oil, syrup, etc. etc.) who have a vested interest in as much corn as possible coming off the field for the cheapest price (read - subsidized).

Norm

I understand what you are saying but all too often the farmers get lumped into that group. To be honest even they are not that huge of a lobbying force if you compare it to for example the oil, financial or energy lobbies.

Big oil and their buddies at WSJ have done a great job of making sure their lock on you gas cap is only opened by them.

Al_Smith

The people who make out on grain are those such as Monsanto,Central Soya and Arthur -Daniels -Midland .Sometimes the speculaters in the grain markets  . The farmer may or may not. It's a gamble,weather,production costs etc can send many into bankrupcy in just a few bad years .

On a forum that no longer exists my little handle said "sawman of the cornfields " that was in all seriousness .I'm surrounded  by amber waves of grain at certain times of the year .Not so bad except during bean harvest time when I have an allergy to the dust .BTW the corn is just barely knee high so we'll have to see how that plays out about Sept-Oct .

tyb525

Hearing the name Monsanto makes me sick. They have a big part in killing off the small farmers.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Reddog

Thank You Sponsors!