iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dehumidifier In A Solar Kiln

Started by Tree Feller, January 29, 2013, 09:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tree Feller

I have a small (300 bf) solar kiln. During the warmer months it works absolutely great. This winter, however, we've had a lot of cloudy, rainy days and normal or below temps so far. Drying some 4/4 Red Oak to 8% MC took over 8 weeks.

I know that room dehumidifiers probably won't last very long due to the acids produced from drying hardwoods (especially Oak) but I'm thinking that incorporating one into the kiln would significantly speed up the drying in the cool/cold months. It would not be needed from April thru October.

Other than having to monitor the moisture removed, what other concerns are there for using a dehumidifier in conjunction with a Virginia Tech-style solar kiln?
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

WDH

Maybe member Pineywoods will chime in as that is how he does it.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pineywoods

Three solar kilns with DH units locally, mine and 2 other local sawyers. And yes, the acid from oak is rough on them. Of the 3, none of them cost over $15, if they croak, just replace them with another garage sale unit. One thing you might try is fasten some black painted sheet metal (old roofing tin) to the bottom of the rafters. Ours will get 30 to 40 degrees over outside temp under a heavy overcast. Mine and LeroyC's are both out of service at the moment due to some high winds taking off the plastic panels. Just one more job to fix. ::)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Most dehumidifies will not work well under 65 F.  The coils freeze up for one thing.  So, in the wintertime you would need some sort of heating, especially in the morning before the sun is up.  In many cases, you would be better served by making the entire kiln a DH kiln and insulate it well and run it 24/7.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Planman1954

Being in Tyler, I would go look at flea markets for an old dehumidifier...they are everywhere. I've found three in the short time I was looking for them. Offer ten dollars...they'll sell it! Mine has lasted for 2 years so far.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Goodndusty

I would say go for it! 
I have a hot water heated kiln with 2400bf capacity and use the dehumidifier all the time.  I dry mostly pine, poplar and tamarack.  I know it is not good for the unit but it sure takes out a lot of water and I look for a good sale.  I agree with Gene.  Don't let it get too cool.  Better yet if you can air dry your stacks first and then put them in.  A lot less work for the kiln.
Goodndusty

Timberwolf 24' 2" band mill, logosol planer/molder, 3 sided planer/sizer, Oliver 1850 front end loader, Barko 60, H3 crawler w/1066 loader with wood clam, home built dryer, Dino semi auto setter, cat claw sharpener, Timberjack 230D.

Thank You Sponsors!