iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another chipper accident

Started by Fraxinus, March 08, 2005, 03:09:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fraxinus

Not sure if any of you saw this.  One of my Lucas crews told me about it and I went and found this in the Boston Globe on the internet.
http://search.boston.com/index.jsp?queryStr=tree+worker+hurt&collection=month&title=c&summary=c&byline=c&body=c
I have heard conflicting reports as to the man's condition.  One report says he is on life support.  The other says he is doing well.  The company isn't saying anything about it.  I'm sure OSHA is crawling all over them.
For sure, the man has at least lost all or part of his left arm.
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

Ernie

Sure would have liked to read the whole story but I really hate newspapers that try to charge you to read their news.. Are they really that great at reporting? >:( >:( >:( >:(

Ernie
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Fraxinus

I think that was the whole story, Ernie.  There just aren't any more details available.
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

mometal77

I just read this usually with chippers its the gloves or getting snagged in some brush and not paying attention.  With the gloves what happens are some have the hard flaps that get caught and pull you right in a chipper like no tommorrow.  I have changed the blades on them and out of all the machinery i have worked with over the different jobs i have been on they are the most nerve racking to be around.
bob
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Buzz-sawyer

I almost got ate by one!!!
I putting a tree top into an old type drum chipper..the kind that run like a gazzillion rpms.........no safety..........big enough opening for a man..............
the top I threw in had a large rope on it, well, the rope caught me, wipped me good , wrapped around me and started to pull me in to it in the flash of an eye........I spun off t the side and the rope fed of through.....would of rather got eaten than clean that mess up :o :o :o :o
Well maybe not ;) :D :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

rebocardo

I have wanted a chipper for a long time, but, after reading all the stories it does make one pause and think about the risks and cost of owning one. Certainly not the tool to use if your head is not on straight.

Buzz-sawyer

Dangerous if ya DO think half way good..........I had no way of knowing that rope was on the top of that tree...........those old style chippers are deadly and unforgiving!
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

sawguy21

We had one about a week ago. The climbers were in the trees and noticed the ground guy was missing. Then the chipper made strange noises. All they found were his boots.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!