iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another reason to not fell trees alone

Started by Radar67, June 08, 2007, 02:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radar67

I read this article on MSNBC

Man Amputates Own Leg

Another reminder to have someone with you when felling trees.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Kevin

I hope he tried digging the earth out around his leg with the knife to free himself before the amputation.

Radar67

The article didn't make any mention of him trying to dig out.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

sawguy21

I saw that story too but with my tolerance to pain, I am suspicious.  :D He must hold a lot of blood to stay conscious that long.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

rebocardo

Yea, I was wondering those things myself when I saw the article. 

metalspinner

I would have to be pinned alot longer than 11 hrs to undergo that surgery. :o
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Faron

Maybe that was  a wooden leg he amputated?  ???;D
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Tom

I have a Forester cousin who was involved in an equipment accident while in the woods alone and amputated his leg with his pocket knife too.  I don't think it is that uncommon of a thing.

DanG

It all sounds quite gruesome, but I suppose if a limb were already mangled beyond repair, the blood vessels would already be closed up, and a lot of nerves severed.  It might not be as bad as it seems.  It still gives me the sweaty-palm willies to think about it though. :o
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Furby

How about the guy that cut his arm/hand off after being trapped by a boulder in a canyon out West for a week or so, then climbed/crawled out to find help.
Seems like it took 6 guys or so to shift the boulder enough to recover the remains of his limb some time later.

Tom

They should have left it.  Millions of years from now, some future archeologist would have thought he found a human egg.

rebocardo

Faron

Furb, It seems to me they were unable to recover that arm.  I really don't  know what the point of trying would  be anyway. ???
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Furby

Thank You Sponsors!