iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Balsam fir tops missing

Started by PoginyHill, April 06, 2024, 03:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoginyHill

I've noticed fir saplings that have their leading stem missing. I had assumed it was moose browse, but I'm wondering if there is an insect that could be doing this. These fir stand 6-7ft tall and based on the pitch leaking out, I'm guessing the damage was rather recent.

IMG_71995B15D.JPG

All these have missing leaders:
IMG_E71985B15D.JPG
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

KEC

Seems like if it were moose or deer that they would have eaten the part missing. Maybe look on the ground for those tips. Possibly squirrel damage. I'm just speculating. SD would likely have an idea.

SwampDonkey

Moose will get into a fir thicket and chow down. I've seen them hold up in fir like that and by spring there are piles of poo several inches thick. They will usually eat all the greenery not just tips alone. Hare will eat the tips of smaller fir.  Squirrels will eat tips and flower buds in late winter and spring. Grouse will eat tips and male flower buds also, about 10% of their diet. I'm leaning toward red squirrel since it looks severed off. No moose poo around?
 Under the red pines here are lots of tips a squirrel snipped last fall for the cones.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

KEC

SD, I  knew that the origional post was right down your alley, or woods trail as the case may be. I like to read your posts on such subjects.

PoginyHill

No significant sign of moose lately, but have seen plenty in prior years. There have always been lots of fir tips from mature trees on the snow surface, but I haven't noticed just the leading stems being cut off like this before. At least to this extent.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!