iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

They walk among us

Started by sawguy21, June 18, 2019, 08:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguy21

I ordered a coffee and an English muffin this morning, the bill came to $3.50. I handed the mature waitress a five, she grabbed the calculator, punched some buttons and gave me my change saying"I should know that but don't". :o I have to wonder how far she got in school, she seemed bright enough.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

lxskllr

I like when I give unusual amounts of change to prevent getting pennies, get quarters, or whatever. Some of the clerks act like I stuck a toad in their hand. Turn it over, count it, count it again, then type it into the computer so they know what to do with it  :^D

WV Sawmiller

Yes, it is pitiful. I have them all the time act amazed when they enter the amount in the register and it tells them to return even dollar or quarter amounts and they say "How did you know that." Now they just punch the picture beside the happy meal and type in the amount you gave them and the register/computer tells them what to give back.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

btulloh

Now I see people that can't count the change total after the register tells them the amount!!

This could get to be really long thread real quick.
HM126

alan gage

Once I went to a candy store and asked for 1/4 pound of toffee. The young gal (teen) went over to the scale and after a bit she sheepishly asked if this was too much? I looked down and the scale read .15 lbs. I was confused at first until I realized she had no idea that .25 is the same as 1/4. I did get my full order and I think she felt a little silly and learned something.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

gspren

My brother helps at a youth-center for 14 to 18 year olds and when they sign in/out they often ask what time it is so he points at the clock with hands and numbers, most can't tell time unless it's digital.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

coalsmok

In a meeting with my daughters teachers earlier this year and they basically said they don't teach money in school anymore. When I asked why it was, Everyone uses cards now. Who uses cash? 

sawguy21

::) They obviously don't understand how credit cards work. That is sad.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Raider Bill

Went to a big box store attempted to pay for my purchases with a company CC. Account is flagged that they need to check the ID of any card users so I gave her my DL.
This doesn't match she says. CC says Bill, DL says William, no can do.
WHAT!!!!
Lady ever hear of Jim/James, Bob/Robert, Bill/William?
Sorry they have to match.
Call your manager.
Manager had some smarts, apologized pretty much for them hiring a idiot.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Southside

I can see the other side of that one.  The way many of these companies are these days had it been a stolen card and she accepted it they would fire her and say "The names didn't match".  Seems nobody has your back today.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

caveman

One morning near the end of the school year a dean came down to the Ag office.  The students were going through the motions but had basically shut down a week or two prior.  The day before, I printed off an MDS for dihydrogen monoxide (water) and was amusing myself with it.  Anyway, I reported to the dean that we had a chemical spill in the shop and showed her the MDS and suggested she use her radio to let the assistant principal over facilities know.  

I had forgotten about it and was walking across the parking lot a few hours later when I saw the AP.  She informed me that she reported the spill to the district office, Sonny got in touch with the guys who clean up chemical spills and that they were coming soon.  Oops, on my part.  I told her to cancel the cleanup team and that we had it taken care of.  She was still genuinely concerned but I reassured her that it was under control.

The next day it took all of the restraint I could muster to not enter the school's courtyard wearing a Tyvek suit, rubber boots, gloves and a respirator while pushing a mop bucket and carrying a sponge while taking deliberate steps akin to those of Armstrong when he walked on the moon.

Another school story.  This time it was the janitor.  Back in December we had a significant downpour right before lunch.  The storm drain clogged with live oak leaves and other debris and the parking lot was flooding.  The janitor walked in to our little lunch hideout and asked to borrow my rubber boots.  I obliged and following lunch I went out to see if I could help him.  The water was deeper than his my boots so when I arrived on the scene he was standing on the platform of his 48v golf cart which was in water up to the seat while poking around in the rapidly rising, very cold water with a shovel feeling for the drain.  

I put on some shorts, took off my shoes, waded out there and dragged his cart out of the water and located the drain with my bare feet.  My teaching partner got on our old Ford tractor and used the front end bucket to clear the drain.  There were all sorts of things rushing down the hill - floating masses of fire ants, a snake and lots of other stuff.  The janitor eventually was released for something else.  He was a nice guy but was a disaster.  I hate to think how much he cost the school system with all of the equipment he destroyed.  They don't pay these folks but about $11/hour but he probably cost them $75000 a year, if his negligence was factored in.

But wait, there are more if anyone is interested.  (wire wheel on grinder in shirt, janitor girdling citrus trees with weed eater, my reply all email-intended for a select few, arrested bosses, pig thief caught on barn cam, chain hoist wedgee, administrator borrows chainsaw, student stole welding rods thinking they were sparklers, student takes selfie on stolen phone (Dimebag Darrel), students mimicking MTV show involving hedges and books to the head, Ag teacher crashes tractor in her own shop, kid poops in barn - I informed class that it was tested and student responsible needed to get to the Dr. asap, flea market is under attack by incoming airborne citrus fruit, fans will cool kiln??, Zebu roundup, pipe bomb bong, school Deputy and his nightstick, school deputy and his brother's late model racecar, school deputy ratchet arrested for domestic violence, folks releasing gopher tortoises into Gulf)
Caveman

btulloh

Caveman, that is quite a list.  Makes you wonder how these people find work.  Oh - I know - in school administration and elected office.   :D :D

You could start a "Moron of the day" thread when you run out of trees.

Your dihydrogen monoxide reminded me - someone wrote a whole scientific-ish paper on that.  The dangers, like inhalation leads to immediate asphyxiation . . . and so forth.  As a result, a city council in Southern California actually passed an ordnance outlawing it inside city limits.  (Santa Monica is known for this type of thing, but it wasn't them.)  It took a little while for that to get corrected.
HM126

caveman

I had the list printed off.  I think a 14 year old Michigan student convinced a lot of people to sign a petition to ban H2O after having them read the list.

I do give out Papa John awards in honor of a student who I nicknamed Papa John who was a walking catastrophe.  It is not quite as bad as a dunce cap but the student's name goes on the board beside Papa John Award and remains until the end of the day or someone surpasses the act of stupidity of the previous winner.  One has to Die to earn a Darwin award- hopefully the ridicule, sarcasm and humiliation that I offer will deter potential Darwin Award recipients.
Caveman

DelawhereJoe

I worked with a guy that while framing a house cut a board 3 times (same board all 3 cuts....THE SAME BOARD he cut 3 times) and it was still too short after the 3rd cut.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on June 28, 2019, 08:54:33 PM
I worked with a guy that while framing a house cut a board 3 times (same board all 3 cuts....THE SAME BOARD he cut 3 times) and it was still too short after the 3rd cut.
Some bidy must have taught him the old adage "Measure once, cut thrice". ;D :D 8)
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

barbender

What's the stolen phone selfie/ Dimebag Darrell reference about?
Too many irons in the fire

gspren

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on June 28, 2019, 08:54:33 PM
Did the same guy throw any nails away because the heads were on the wrong end? Us smart guys know those nails are for the other side of the house. :D
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

caveman

To set this up, Barbender, you kind of have to know the students involved.  Dallas was about 17 at the time, worked a job after school, built his 4wd Samurai into a formidable off-roader, was very respectful to adults but was still enough of a red neck to be a little rough around the edges.

Dime Bag Darrel was about the same age, had no job besides probably selling the weed that he did not smoke himself, had poor school attendance, and was generally the type of person that if he visited your neighborhood someone was going to be missing some property.

Anyway, Dime Bag was in the class next to mine and most of the students in both classes were in the shop, about 50-60 students, working on wooden toys to give away as Christmas presents to a neighboring school's kindergartners and first graders.  Dallas set his phone on the stool beside the band saw to help another student cut out a wooden car.  A minute or two later he turned around to pick up his phone and it was gone.  This student paid for his own phone and plan.  All of the students were asked if anyone saw the phone.  Everyone was herded into my classroom and the school deputy was called down. Dallas suspected that Dime Bag Darrel took it since he was relatively nearby and he was generally a known dirt bag.  The deputy could not search him without cause and everyone was released to their next class.

A week or two went by and Dallas saved up and bought a new phone.  He was in my class when he came up and said he is getting pictures of Dime Bag Darrel taking pictures of himself and his star shaped upper torso tattoos in front of a bathroom mirror which were showing up on Dallas' new phone.  As luck would have it, Dime Bag Darrel was in the class next door.  We called the deputy, held the classes after the bell.  He was arrested and the phone was recovered.  Can't fix stoopid. It took quite a bit of restraint for Dallas to not go out in the shop and grab a pipe or a handled tool and beat Dime Bag Darrel.  

The local cops solve a lot of crimes using Facebook too.  Stoopid people do stoopid things and win stoopid prizes.
Caveman

barbender

I've often thought that a lot of criminal enterprises would actually be quite hard to get caught at. But criminals tend to not be real high intelligence. For instance, if you're moving a large amount of drugs, do a pre trip inspection on your vehicle. How many of them get caught when they are are pulled over for a broken tail light or something?🙄 
Too many irons in the fire

Resonator

When I was in school you could use a calculator, but ONLY AFTER you learned how to add, subtract, multiply, and divide without one. Even in Algebra and Trig class you could use one, but still had to show your work on paper how you arrived at the answer. Schools now give kids computers at an early age, and things like handwriting (cursive), are obsolete. The parents don't know what they are being taught without a school computer, textbooks are going the way of the dinosaur.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Cedarman

In a few years will any of the kids know what 1/2 past 6 or 1/4 to 8 will mean.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Magicman

They already don't know what 2 bits, 4 bits, & 6 bits are.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Resonator

But they know there's 8 bits in a byte.  :D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Roxie

When I was in my early 20's, I asked my neighbor friend (who had just turned 17) why she didn't have her drivers license.  She told me that no one wanted to teach her to drive.  She was a high honors student, and very bright, so I thought how bad could it be?

We went for a ride with her driving, and me directing our course.  She was doing great, and following every command, until we were getting close to our return.  At a very busy intersection, I reminded her to use her left turn signal, and she replied, "It's okay, I don't need to, I know where I'm going now." 
Say when

lxskllr

I've got one. This one's embarrassing cause it's my daughter, and I expect better of her... We were driving over a dam, and this was the conversation. Paraphrased, but more or less accurate(D=daughter, M=me)...

D: How do they get the water back to the other side?
M: ?? What do you mean?
D: The water goes out over there(pointing), how do they get it back to the other side?
M: Are you screwing with me?!(A more colorful term was used  :^P  )
D: Sheepish look...
M: The water comes down the river, gets blocked, and is released to the other side. What, did you think it was a big ornamental pond or something?! Pumped back to the other side after release?!?!

I couldn't believe it. I was waiting for the punchline that never came  :^S

On that subject; there *are* dams that work like that. I only read on it quickly, and have been meaning to research it further. An impoundment gets used as a "battery" to store water as backup for a "clean" power system. Can't remember exactly, but probably solar or wind. The water gets pumped back up after use. The obvious problem, is in a perfect system you'll use as much energy getting the water up as you gained bringing it down. Since no system is perfect, you'll use more power. How does that work? Perhaps they generate excess power most of the time, and the water is for emergency use only? Dunno. I think of that every so often. Maybe I'll look it up today.

edit:
Here it is...

This Pumped Storage Power Plant Is A Giant Battery - GE Reports

They kind of gloss over that it's 80% efficient, but I'm assuming that most times the power generated by clean methods exceeds demand.

Thank You Sponsors!