iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

twin saw

Started by argyle1, November 24, 2010, 04:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

argyle1

I'm thinking of building a "twin saw" mill----it would save a lot of time if I could buy a set of  plans---does anyone know where I might get a set

thanks
Brian

weisyboy

i might have a set around here someware.

you mean a twin saw like with blades at 90* or a twin saw like a moblie version of a scrag mill.?

also what type of frame, like a peterson mill with ground tracks or a single beam like a mahoe?
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

argyle1

hi weisyboy
i mean with 90 degree saws in a frame running on 2 tracks similar to  a d&l doublecut---i was first thinking swing saw, but i decided to go with 2 saws because i have lots of power(electricity) and lots of parts, and i like the idea of the mill bringing the board back to me
thanks
brian

DanG

Hi Argyle.  I haven't heard of anyone building a one-off homemade saw of that type, but I'm sure it has been done.  Don't know if there are any plans out there, so you may have to just wing it.

As a Mobile Dimension owner, I've thought many times about a hybrid between the MD and the D&L, as each has a lot of good features and some shortcomings.  The main goal would be to have the third blade like the MD, but still be able to cut at least 8" deep on the horizontal cuts.  You could do this by simply making the carriage a little bit longer.  The mechanics of MD's 3rd blade setup is really quite simple.

The single beam track is nice for getting over the huge logs, but the four-poster frame of the D&L is much more stable.  If you don't try to make it portable, you could just build it bigger.  The MD on a trailer won't really take that big of a log, anyway, because of the width restriction. ::)

Good luck, and keep us posted on your thoughts and progress.  These projects are a lot of fun for us to watch. ;) :) :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sgschwend

I would agree to double your cost and time estimates.  Take a look at the saw kerf.  It would be nice to keep the kerf under 1/4".  Which is done on the 21" brazed in teeth swingmill saws.

I built a stationary mill using a Brand X four post sawhead.  I believe I have heard of two other cases where this has been done using that sawhead.  Even as a swing mill the saw can produce a lot of material when the other mill functions are automated.  Just keep in mind that adding all of those functions will double the time and money expended.

The dual saw or triple sawmills are made by both Mighty Mite and Mobil Dimension, both manufactured in Oregon.  Mighty Mite does offer a work table that has the hydraulic capability, it costs about the same as a mill.  There is a lot there for the money.

I have completed most of my mill, I will be installing a triple hydraulic log dogging this week.  And then a wide slabber a week later.

In summary I find that material handling is the biggest time waster, but it is mostly in handling the logs (moving, clamping, and aligning in both axis).  Even though the swingmill cuts in both directions material can mostly be offloaded as the saw is cutting. 

Good luck, and keep up posted.

Steve
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

argyle1

hi guys
Dang---i think a 4 post saw carraige is the way to go---the biggest log i'd ever see around here would be about 3 ft dia---i want to be able to cut 8x 12, so think i should be able to easily stay with 1/4 " kerf----probably 30 hp on the vert and 20 hp (elect) on the horiz

Steve---you are for sure right that material handling is a huge consumer of time--i have a lot of junk around, so after the mill is built i hope to address those issues

first thing will be to get it on paper, then it will be close to spring befor i start building, as i don't have much time or room in the winter---kinda wish i knew something about auto-cad
brian

weisyboy

try

google sketchup.

4 post is easyest

15hp on the horasontal and 20 on the vert 3 phse would be more than enough.

still lookin for those plans mate.

god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

Thank You Sponsors!