iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new sawmill

Started by argyle1, May 07, 2011, 07:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

argyle1

I'm building a circular sawmill with 2 blades at 90 degrees like a mighty mite or mobile dimension, but on a track on a trailer like a D&L ---been working on it for about 2 months in my spare time, and have it to the point where i need saws.

I would like to buy saws that are readily available without having to wait. Mighty Mite will sell me saws, but I was wondering if anyone has experience with the "turbo-saw" (the one full of holes) as their sales pitch regarding that saw makes sense to me.

I've been taking a lot of pictures as it grows and will post them as soon as I have time to learn how

laffs

is that like a swing saw ? the only mighty mite ive seen was a band mill and that was just a few weeks ago
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

argyle1

no, it has two saws instead of one that swings----the saws are square to each other, one vertical and one horizontal---the log is stationary like on a swingmill, and the carraige carrying the saws runs up and down the log---if you google mobile dimension sawmill they have picks on their website that explain it better

I think Mighty Mite just started making bandmills a few years ago, but they have built circular mills since at least the 1970's

bandmiller2

Argyle,alot depends on the size of the saws you need.It makes alot of sence to use commonly available blades such as used on Lucas or peterson or D&L.Incerted bit saws would be easier to maintain.You pictures will be a must see for most of us here.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

mometal77

Would love to see your progress....
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

argyle1

well , the new mill is all together and works well---I've sawn up 2 loads of logs with no problem other than sawdust---I can saw about 12mfbm befor I have to move the mill so I can push away the sawdust---you can see the pictures in "new album" on my profile--I'm pretty dense computer wise and haven't yet figgered how to post the pics on here---but I will---I have a bit of a video as well on my facebook, which I will put on you tube

5quarter

Thats one smooth piece of iron! nice work.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

fishpharmer

argyle1, your mills operates nicely.  Its difficult to make out the details of operation.  I see two blades and an electric motor, any more details?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

Looks like you have the controls worked out very nicely.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Hilltop366

Very nice ...... tell me more!

argyle1

hey Fishpharmer---if you look in my gallery under new photos you can see a lot more detail---this week when I get a bit of time I'll figure out how to post the pics,and Im working on a better video---I agree it's hard to see much on this one

Banjo picker

Your gallery is not listed as best as I can tell... :-\     but I liked the video.   Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

slohand

Argyle
You obviously know something about fabricating and design. A very big plus for a small sawmiller these days.

Your mill looks a lot like the D&L. I had one of those for a year bought new, electric. It was the right idea poorly executed.  One thing you have to have on any circular mill if you are going to cut anything of any dimension like timbers is raw horsepower. I don't know what you have there, but the D&L I had had 25 hp on the vertical saw and just 15 on the edger saw. What it needed was 50 and 40 to do the job.

The D&L was really lightly build, I guess they were trying to keep the weight down so it could be 'portable'  All 1/8 wall tube structure.

I also had a Mighty Mite about 30 years ago, Volkswagen powered. Well build but also underpowered unless you cut dimensiion cedar which I did.

The other thing you've already mentioned is sawdust ... lots and lots of sawdust. Do yourself a favour and elevate the mill enough so you can clean out under neath with a backhoe or even lawn tractor with blade. You'll spend half your day digging sawdust otherwise.  A cement pad is worth the money, believe me.

I don't have a circular anymore, went to a Select 6" double cut band about 5 years ago and no regrets. But the idea of a mill that saws and edges simultaneously is certainly compelling. If you have a mill that has enough power on the saws and can manage the massive sawdust you should have a winner there.

The Duncan Beam Saw is pretty much the ultimate version of this idea so far.

mad murdock

Argyle1, all I can say is Skoukum!!!  That is one Kewl setup 8) 8) 8) 8) thanks for posting the vid.  I will check out your gallery.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

duke

I Like the video. looks like a great design!! I wouldn't mind giving it a run if I ever got up that way, just to see if I like the feel of the sawmill!! I'm on the Island.

Marcel

argyle1

Yes I had planned to buy a Double D but after looking at some and talking to a few owners , decided to build one a lot beefier---I do only have 25hp and 15hp, and that is a bit wimpy on the power, but I can cut 8x12 if I'm careful---I was going to put on a log turner, but gave it up in favour of decking the mill in completely for sawdust removal---the mill is heavy, but not a problem to pull down the highway with my Dodge truck---you bet Marcel, any time your in the area give me a call---everyone around hhere knows me so I'm easy to find

Thank You Sponsors!