iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big Madrone

Started by redbeard, September 30, 2012, 06:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redbeard

This Big Madrone is 300 plus yr old 6' across , little redbeard and I spent the morning Qrt it so landscaper can load the chunks, limbs and logs to my place. Due to drain field and power lines I couldnt get boom truck in to load so I had to down size the trunk so he can load. This wood is heavy very dence.

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Magicman

Looks like maybe the tree was dead?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

redbeard

Little redbeard posed for this shot looking north up whidbey island with Mt. Baker in background. I noticed he is resting bar on his knee so much for the action photo. Pp

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

ladylake

What's it going to be used for??  Looks like my kind of logs, snarly and crooked.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I don't know what to say about this tree. I'm just glad you safely got it down, Good job!  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Okrafarmer

Let's see it in lumber! Especially that burl.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

redbeard

Yes it was half way dying the upper limbs are totally dead, but the trunk was what iam after and it is in good shape except for the decayed limb that left a hole in it, that might have been what killed it. Madrone is hard to keep stable it checks alot and I dont mind milling short lengths they seem too dry better with less checking. They will sit in the wood lot for awhile untill the right customer comes along. A professional tree service took the tree down and left me the 8' trunk to whittle on. The home owner kept the burl, it weighed around 100 lbs. I told him I knew some turners that could make a nice bowl or something out of it. They thought that was a good idea.  They also want a big slab for a bathroom counter top. This wood works well for counter tops, mantles and stair treads.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Ill say it again Jim you sure do live in a Pretty Part of the World I loved it up there Mate  :) ;) ;D 8)That trees sure is going to make some interesting pieces Mate  :) :) ;) ;D ;D 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

mad murdock

That was one BIG Madrone!  I have one about half that size on my place, that I want to take down,kind of inaccessible, prolly why it is still up.  That is the BEST firewood ever, Hands down, IMO.  Low ash, long burn and lots of BTU's.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

redbeard

Here's some 4" x 20"+ x 6'  slabs from this big trunk shown in original post. I wanted too look it up and see how long ive been sitting on it. finally found a buyer that needed some special wood. I felt like a butcher slabing steaks for a big barbaque. Yes I did grill up some real ones at the end of day.

mesquite buckeye

Very cool. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

Madrone charcoal makes a very high quality ingredient for black powder. ;D :snowball: :snowball: :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Magicman

Interesting wood.  Hopefully you have found a source to move it all out.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kasba

Great looking tree Redbeard. As a wood turner it is a dream to turn, out of all the different wood I have worked with it is my favorite. I am going to be taking a large one down in the future that I will also post some pictures. I noticed the slabs you cut, do use the inch a year for your drying method? I boil my rough turned bowl blanks so I have never air dried slabs before. Thanks for sharing neighbor.
Timbery M285 25hp, Husqvarna 570 auto tune, Alaskan sawmill, Nova 1624 wood lathe, Dogo Argentino

Anyducks

Are there specific parts of the tree that are less stable drying than others.  in my area its hard to find madrone for boxes and counters.   Wonder if the trunk will be more stable than the big limbs.

Thank You Sponsors!