iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Stihl Farm Boss (MS290) Problematic Saw?

Started by Hexa Fox, September 28, 2013, 02:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

[quote author=Hexa Fox link=topic=69247.msg1039057#msg1039057
Well according to just about anyone that makes small engines you are suppose to avoid "High Test" or "Premium" at all costs. They tell you it will void your warranty if they figure out you are using it.
[/quote]

While that may be true for some small engines, it's NOT true for most chainsaws. Chainsaws are generally designed to get more performance out of the smallest lightest weight engine.  This usually means a higher compression ratio, which requires higher octane fuel.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Hexa Fox on September 29, 2013, 01:50:58 AM

<<snip>>
All I have ever used is the "Half Choke" because I guess it was so hot outside it was not needed. You can start the MS290 on the "Full Choke" and it will just auto rev until you press it in once.

<<snip>>

I just remembered what it's called - that is the "Warm start" setting which gives you full throttle.  And when you pop the throttle, it goes down to normal idle.  The other thing the book says to do is to have the chain brake engaged  :-\  I guess that is their lawyers talking.  If the chain can't spin, then you won't get cut when you are starting.  I don't do that.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Cut4fun

I like my echo 8000. You can trust them. You might want to look at the 680 echo also and the older 670 6700 also. I have the 6700 which is like a husky 365 special with alittle less power. 8000 get heavy cutting with it for awhile. JMO

Hexa Fox

Quote from: AdkStihl on September 29, 2013, 09:16:35 AM
Quote from: Hexa Fox on September 28, 2013, 06:18:37 PM
new Stihl Saws require MotoMix to run properly.
(Post removed by admin.)
Of course I haven't been able to log in over at AS in 3 days  :D

Dude I said the same exact thing. The first time my neighbor told me that crap I basically laughed him off his own property. Then after I took it out to the guy at Jefferson Rentals (Local Dealer) he poured my old "crappy" (87 Ethanol-Free) fuel out an replaced it with MotoMix and had it running almost a minute later. Mind you it would NOT start for anything at all with the Ethanol-Free stuff in it. My neighbor told me this was a serious problem with my Brand New saw because he is using stuff that is years old and his starts right up.

So even though I was using crappy stuff the point is it should have fired as it is Brand New. It may take some years off the saws life but no Brand New saw should act like this. I guess whoever said they all have a personality of their own was right. Because after he poured my stuff out and put the MotoMix in it started to worry me. High Test 93 costs me a few dollars along with the best oil Stihl offers to mix up a gallon. So I win either way mixing my own. A can of MotoMix is usually around $10.00 around here.
-F0X

Hexa Fox

Quote from: Cut4fun on September 29, 2013, 12:19:07 PM
I like my echo 8000. You can trust them. You might want to look at the 680 echo also and the older 670 6700 also. I have the 6700 which is like a husky 365 special with alittle less power. 8000 get heavy cutting with it for awhile. JMO

I heard that the new CS-8000's are no where near as good as they used to be. Then again that is everything you buy in modern times. I did some snooping around though and found that they did recently change it. Something I really liked about it is that it is much bigger than other saws in the same category with it. Having just over 80CC where the Husqvarna 576XP is just over 70CC and more expensive. I think the equivalent Stihl in the same park. So this interested me for sure.
-F0X

Hexa Fox

Quote from: ljohnsaw on September 29, 2013, 12:16:49 PM
Quote from: Hexa Fox on September 29, 2013, 01:50:58 AM

<<snip>>
All I have ever used is the "Half Choke" because I guess it was so hot outside it was not needed. You can start the MS290 on the "Full Choke" and it will just auto rev until you press it in once.

<<snip>>

I just remembered what it's called - that is the "Warm start" setting which gives you full throttle.  And when you pop the throttle, it goes down to normal idle.  The other thing the book says to do is to have the chain brake engaged  :-\  I guess that is their lawyers talking.  If the chain can't spin, then you won't get cut when you are starting.  I don't do that.

Thanks for the reply. I recently signed up with another Arborist site under the same name and asked for advice. It was very similar to this one just the major difference is the community there was horrible. So I was really fearing what would happen when I came here looking for some advice. I have seen some bad communities in my day as I am signed up for many different websites because I guess I am a young kid and have never ever been treated so badly.

I felt as if the community there came with torches and pitchforks to eradicate me from the forum. So I really appreciate you guys being patient with me and helping me out. Especially since this time it was me and not my saw.

Yeah and it sounds like their layers talking. I sort of ignore the chain brake... not sure if that is good or not.
-F0X

Hexa Fox

Quote from: John Mc on September 29, 2013, 11:44:59 AM
While that may be true for some small engines, it's NOT true for most chainsaws. Chainsaws are generally designed to get more performance out of the smallest lightest weight engine.  This usually means a higher compression ratio, which requires higher octane fuel.

I will keep this in mind thanks John. Also I hope I do not have another problem to worry about because I just bought a Stihl FS-56 (I Think) and I am using the "High Test" fuel for both my saw and weed-eater. I am also considering buying a blower but I think it can wait until next year and I will probably want to use the same stuff in it.
-F0X

Hexa Fox

Quote from: thecfarm on September 29, 2013, 07:32:56 AM
About the high test stuff,I guess I better stick with my old 372. The only places that sells good gas is the airports. I have never went there to buy any,so have no idea if it's a big bother or not.

I have never heard of air ports selling gas. I do not live close to any so I guess I would not know. This is funny because my father is coming home from an air port Tuesday. I might get him to pick me up a gallon or so. Can you get the real good stuff?
-F0X

Paul_H

Quote from: Hexa Fox on September 29, 2013, 12:50:50 PM
I guess I am a young kid and have never ever been treated so badly.

By 24 you should be a man and both think and act like one.Good luck with your saw and welcome to the forum.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

thecfarm

I have never got gas from a airport. I am talking about a small airport,like the single engine plane. Someone told me I could get it from Norridgewock,about 45 minutes from me. I have no idea if I could get it from them or not. I don't have any problems with the gas I use. Or I don't think I am doing any damage to my saw.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Mooseherder

The Regional Airports sell fuel for airboat operators here because they wouldn't run without avgas.  They used to sell for the Drag strip cars at Moroso.  Now It's called Palm Beach Intl raceway and they have their own tanks now as it's been sold to another group.   You can probably buy at racetracks if you have any local.  I don't think you need it though.
I've had the ms280 for a few years now.  It's a great saw.  It was hard starting when new but no problems since.  Starts right after the choke burp. 

Hexa Fox

Quote from: Paul_H on September 29, 2013, 03:11:39 PM

By 24 you should be a man and both think and act like one.Good luck with your saw and welcome to the forum.

I guess I have gotten to used to you old guys calling me a young hard headed kid and just learned to live with it now.
-F0X

Hexa Fox

Yeah I am going to keep buying 93 from either Sunoco or Shell as people say they are pretty good around here.

Man everyone is double my age around here lol. I really do appreciate the help from the community here, thanks guys.
-F0X

Paul_H

Quote from: Hexa Fox on September 29, 2013, 04:21:47 PM
I guess I have gotten to used to you old guys calling me a young hard headed kid and just learned to live with it now.

My son is 25 and I haven't thought of him as a boy since he was 15 but even then he was working and pulling his weight at home,school and at his place of employment.We have some younger members in their teens that have been good contributing members here for awhile so there is room for all ages.I know for a fact you are over twice the age of some that read the posts here on the forum.
Hardheadedness is a stumbling block to learning and a frustration to both teacher and student. :P
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

ladylake

Quote from: Hexa Fox on September 29, 2013, 12:44:08 PM
Quote from: Cut4fun on September 29, 2013, 12:19:07 PM

I heard that the new CS-8000's are no where near as good as they used to be. Then again that is everything you buy in modern times. I did some snooping around though and found that they did recently change it. Something I really liked about it is that it is much bigger than other saws in the same category with it. Having just over 80CC where the Husqvarna 576XP is just over 70CC and more expensive. I think the equivalent Stihl in the same park. So this interested me for sure.

The new CS8000 saws are better than they used to be with improved porting and domed pistons. If they lost 2# they'd be great  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bandmiller2

Foxy,sounds to me like a simple carb adjustment may end your problems.I would go back to the dealer and explain to him you can't afford continued use of that designer fuel and would like him to adjust the carb to a good grade of gas.In fact I would bring a can of your mix with you.Every tree guy I've ever known filed his chains.Sometime  it wouldn't hurt to buy a chain grinder to use if the chain is rocked out or just to even it up,but file on the job. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

celliott

There's a few young guns around here, don't worry  ;D
I've been on here for the last 4 or 5 years, don't post alot, but read alot. I've learned so much from this site, and it was a darn sight cheaper than my college degree  ::)
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

chainsaw dog

I had the same prob with mine back in '03.After 8or 9BPMR7a plugs I found out it was the way I started it.Runs perfect now after about 75 cords.I use only real oil.Stihl hi performance orange bottle,hi octane gas.After you fouled it with synth.oil check the spark arrester screen.I have anew MS290 and 170 all run great.Don't baby it.Put an elato-start handle on it.a great $20 investment.I have 12stihl and 40 or 50 other oldies but goodies.95% are running.They're not dead 'til I say they're dead.
After you check spark arrester screen,re-adjust carburator.New ms 290 farm boss has catalytic converter in muffler,supposedly.
Hope this helped.
Saw dog,Maine
New saws don't have personalities until they're old

thecfarm

chainsaw dog,welcome to the forum. Where abouts in Maine?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

John Mc

Other than jet fuel (which is basically like a very clean diesel fuel with some other additives), the gas fuel airports sell is known as 100 LL (for 100 octane, Low Lead), and is commonly referred to as "AvGas".  A large airport will laugh you off the field if you come to them looking to buy a few gallons of AvGas.  Some small airports will be happy to sell it to you.  In my area, the prices range from $5.70 to about $6.70 per gallon.  Note that this is leaded gas, and that the term "low lead" is a bit of a misnomer:  it contains significantly more lead than the old leaded auto fuel.  I'm a pilot, and have easy, regular access to AvGas, but I don't burn it in my saws.  A chainsaw's exhaust is fairly close to your face, and inhaling tetraethyl lead fumes is not the wisest thing you can do

Some small airports also stock auto gas, since some piston aircraft engines are able to run safely on that (and it's a lot cheaper than AvGas).  Those that do sock it generally make SURE they are getting ethanol-free auto gas. It's also more likely than not premium auto gas.

NOTE: 100 LL AvGas will not be around in the long term. There is a push to get rid of this, since it is the last leaded fuel in the world.  There are a number of companies trying to develop a high octane unleaded aircraft fuel.  It's not all that difficult to come up with a way to make a 100 octane unleaded gas; the trick is to make it at a price that's affordable.  (BTW... 100 octane is overkill for all but the most highly modified chainsaws. Your stock chainsaw will not run "better" or have more power running 100 octane AvGas vs running a good 91 or 93 octane auto gas.)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Hexa Fox

Quote from: celliott on September 29, 2013, 08:11:57 PM

There's a few young guns around here, don't worry  ;D
I've been on here for the last 4 or 5 years, don't post alot, but read alot. I've learned so much from this site, and it was a darn sight cheaper than my college degree  ::)

Cool man, so if you do not mind me asking what did you get your degree in? Something Construction or Forestry related perhaps? I just finished my General Education courses and planning to take Information Technology as my major. I am a super computer nerd, but the Forestry and Landscaping business I do on the side has treated me really well over the years around here. I heard Criminal Justice and Sociology are a waste of time around here unless you are really really serious. So I am seeking out the only thing I excel at. I could be convinced to change to something related to my side business.

As in ten years from now I think I would rather picture my self driving around a tractor and working outside rather than inside screwing with computer hardware and software. Especially if I can make a living doing it.
-F0X

celliott

[/quote] Cool man, so if you do not mind me asking what did you get your degree in? Something Construction or Forestry related perhaps? [/quote]

Yup, Forest technology. I just finished up a 3 month job cruising timber in Northern NH. It paid well, but, now it's over. Was always a temporary job. Now back on the job hunt again.
No matter what aspect of this industry you're in, chances are you probably aren't in it to get rich, but because you love it. Yeah, I had to work in the humidity, the cold, the rain, etc. nasty days, but then there was the beautiful days, cool, sunny, and you get to the top of a ridge and get a sweet view of the foliage, and you think, this is my office  8) Makes all the nasty days worth it.
Oh yeah, good luck with the saw  :D Any questions, post them up, plenty of very knowledgeable chainsaw folks around here. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask  ;)
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

chainsaw dog

Thanks for the welcome.I'm in central Maine near Dover Foxcroft
New saws don't have personalities until they're old

AdkStihl

Quote from: chainsaw dog on September 30, 2013, 09:45:03 AM
Thanks for the welcome.I'm in central Maine near Dover Foxcroft

Wear the Fox Hat  ;D
J.Miller Photography

joe_indi

I had a visit to the Walbro website and found this very useful manual.
http://www.walbro.com/media/21936/SERVICEMANUAL.pdf
Pages 9 onwards might be very useful

Joe

Thank You Sponsors!