iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Covered Bridge Build

Started by Tony Sawmill, March 12, 2024, 08:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Sawmill

One of the main joys, for me anyway, of owning a sawmill is getting to create lumber out of logs and building stuff on my property.  Currently I'm building a covered bridge on my property to access my back 30 acres.  Between work calls and meetings I was able to get a couple of afternoons working on the wall framing.  I haven't framed in the middle section of the knee wall as I think I am going to build that section as a gate so you can open up the middle part and do cannonballs into the creek.  :) 
I'm pretty much ready to start framing the rafters at this point which is exciting.   

thecfarm

Please keep this thread updated. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

TroyC

Wow, moving along nicely!

SwampDonkey

Going to be a dandy. Coming along nicely.  :sunny:
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Stephen1

That looks great ffcool
Cannon balls off the bridge :thumbsup:
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

doc henderson

fishing and rock throwing!  look great!  never seen the innards of one being built.  is that an authentic or modern design?
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Tony Sawmill

Quote from: doc henderson on March 13, 2024, 01:56:15 PMfishing and rock throwing!  look great!  never seen the innards of one being built.  is that an authentic or modern design?
This is really just a hybrid covered bridge.  Many of the historic covered bridges have the design of the walls tied into the structure of the bridge trusses.  The covered part on my bridge has no structural aspect relative to the bridge stability/structure itself.  The bridge itself is made from 3 @ 16" steel I-beams I got from a road bridge that was recently torn down due to undermined footings.  They gave me the steel and we installed it and welded a frame on site.  I say "we" but I hired the guy that built some trails and roads for me on my property to do the transport and steel fabrication and I am only doing the wood part of the build.  Bridge deck on this one is 2.25" thick random width boards (8" to 14") I milled.  The covered part is structurally just a shed built atop the bridge to keep it out of the weather and well, just bc it will look cool and for the fun of it.  :) 
I'm setting the ridge boards and starting the rafters today so it should be a fun day!

Jeff

I can delete this post once I know, but is there a paticular reason this topic ls hiding out in this board? Pretty cool topic to be in a spot many rarely look.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tony Sawmill

Quote from: Jeff on March 14, 2024, 06:13:54 PMI can delete this post once I know, but is there a paticular reason this topic ls hiding out in this board? Pretty cool topic to be in a spot many rarely look.
Well I am new here and really wasn't sure where to post it.  It's not quite timber framing so didn't want to post it there.  And while all the lumber is from my sawmill, it's not a sawmill post soooo..wasn't sure where to post it hahaha.  Feel free to move it?  is there a better section of FF to post it?  is there a "Building Projects" section of the forum?  :)
I did frame the roof today which was a blast though a lot of work due to working solo!!

Jeff

The general board is as good a place as any I would say.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

I am here.
I like the way I can click onto the pictures to make them bigger, click twice and it really gets big!!!

Working alone is slow and hard. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Tony Sawmill

Quote from: thecfarm on March 15, 2024, 05:04:28 AMI am here.
I like the way I can click onto the pictures to make them bigger, click twice and it really gets big!!!

Working alone is slow and hard.
Solo building is definitely more work hahaha.  I will say though...this build has been way easier than the post and beam pavilion I built this past fall.  Those 250-300 lb beams, even using the tractor, were a pain to work with solo.  

Magicman

Build it while you can so that you can enjoy it when you can't. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

TroyC

JD Guy

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

gspren

Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Magicman

Quote from: Magicman on March 15, 2024, 01:33:58 PMBuild it while you can so that you can enjoy it when you can't. 
The above is a slight variation of advice that my Mother gave me in 2002, when I started the "Sun Room" addition here at our home.  I was sorta being hesitant about the build decision when she said:

IMG_5384.JPG
This is framed in that Sun Room and her advice serves as a frequent reminder to me.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

great motherly advice! 
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tony Sawmill

Magicman- That is wonderful advice your mom gave!!  I love it.

Tony Sawmill

If you all are interested in checking it out, I put a video up of the wall and roof framing for this build on my YouTube channel:
https://youtu.be/Qn7Mg-L8wDk?si=bpGX2kvl7WLtcdCF

Part 1 and 2 videos of this build are on my channel as well.  I got the steel from a local road bridge that was condemned due to undermined footings and they were building a new bridge.  I had a guy truck it to my place, weld the frame up, then I did the bridge deck and everything else with my sawmill lumber.  I can't wait to get the metal roof and siding on it!

Don P

I'm glad you could get the beams there. I asked here and they are treated as hazardous waste with the old paint on them. Most "modern" covered bridges are built this way rather than as a structural drive thru truss. It takes a lot of the guesswork and need for high capacity wooden joinery out of the equation but still performs the original intent, to protect the critical bridge elements from the weather. And they look good too!

Stephen1

MM what a great saying! Im keeping that in the front of the brain.
Tony great looking project. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Ed_K

Good Job, It's a great build and the lumber sawed out nicely.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!