iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

walnut tree stumps

Started by chris8283, November 30, 2011, 07:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris8283

I live in sacramento and had 2 black walnut trees that were over a 100 years old ( 3ft wide )but had to unfortunatly cut them down because they were starting to be a risk. I seen that the stumps might be worth some money. Where could I go or who could I talk to? To find out how much they might be worth or about having the stumps ripped out the ground?

Ironwood

Welcome,

Just one persons opinion, but good luck. I have "hauled them away" for free IF they were already dug, even then they are rotting up in my field. Perhaps someone might be interested but your not going to get much for them. We all hear of the "big one" that someone got lonnnngggg dollars for back in 1970 something from a gunstock manufacturer.  Do you have a way dig it?? excavation aint cheap.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

chris8283

There still in the ground. I was trying to read more about it and it sounded like it was better to leave them in the ground and let the buyer pull them out. Oh and by the way I think I forgot to mention in the original post that i am located in northern california.

jueston

Stumps are a pretty specialized market and it wont be easy to find a buyer if one even exists, you can list it on Craig's list and see what happens but I would guess that you can leave them there, or pay someone to remove them.
The problem is just that it takes to much work to get to the lumber compared to the eventual payout...
That's just my 2 cents....

Left Coast Chris

Hi Chris, Chris here......

I have a small English Walnut orchard up near Redding and have sold stumps with burls but no one has ever bought just a plain stump.  I have dug them out and sawn them but the previous posts are correct, once you have hand dug them out, filled the hole in, pressure washed it, rip it with a large chain saw then put it on a band saw mill, dried the slabs for over a year you will not want to sell it because it was so much work to process.   

If they have no burls (pretty rare) then you will be lucky to find a member of a woodworker club or hobby wood worker that has the capability to dig it out and process it.   Bowl turners may try to tackle it also but don't expect many if any dollars because of the effort needed to make use of it.

One try would be to put them on craigs list or call your local wood workers club to see if you could get $50 each.   It would be a much kinder jesture to offer them for free.

I have pics of a walnut stump I sawed last year in my photo gallery if it is accessable.  I could not figure out how to post from my gallery (sorry) and jpeg was not an allowable file to up load (sorry).

Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

chris8283

thanks everyone! I might just grind them I guess.

5quarter

Chriss...What kind of walnut is it? if it is bastogne walnut or even claro walnut, it may be worth pursuing.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

thecfarm

Chris,welcome to the forum. Probaly the trees went into firewood?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

I have never done it, but from what others have experienced and shared, it is a very marginal opportunity.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!