iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

RIP Pat Tillman

Started by Norwiscutter, April 23, 2004, 09:22:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norwiscutter

Pat Tillman is an example for all of us that often times forget that we owe our country...our country doesn't owe us.  Pat was an example of what being an American is all about. Turning down a million dollars a year and fame in the NFL, Pat instead choose to make 18,000 a year before taxes to defend us, his fans.  Instead of glory, Pat choose duty and Honor.  He joined a unit in which he knew would take him in harms way because he felt that he was more capable than others to do that type of job.  I have talked to friends of mine who have served with him, and the extrodinary story of his life still doesn't do credit to the great person that he was. Remember Pat and his family in your prayers.  Pat will always be remembered by me not as an ex football player turned soldier, but as someone who decieded my life and safety was more important than his own. God be with you brother. You lived... and died... in accordance with the creed.
RANGERS LEAD THE WAY
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Patty

I am so sorry your friend died. Please know he died as a hero, defending America and Americans and for that we are very grateful. God will take him in and he will be blessed. May he rest in peace.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Frank_Pender

I just heard this a bit ago on the radio.  I too will be in the lineup to say thank you to one such as Pat, that is willing to give to give of himself for others.  His brother has done to same and was with him in the same area, if I heard the news correctly. :'(
Frank Pender

Ga_Boy

HOO YAH!!!!!! Pat

Rest easy brother, we've got the watch. :'(

Ga Boy
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

DanG

Thanks for sharing that info. I believe there is a special place in Heaven for such people. I have been honored and priviledged to have known several such men, who gave the ultimate sacrifice in gallant actions. I will not, can not forget them. I think of them every day of my life, and my admiration grows with each thought.

Pat has done his bit for our freedom, now it is up to the rest of us to make sure his sacrifice was not in vain.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

rebocardo

If I do my job right, I hope the four children I am raising grow up to be true Americans like Pat, where intergity is worth more then money.

ksu_chainsaw

We appreciate all that the SF guys do for us.  Not only do they go in before any other troops, but they make it safer for the rest of the troops when we enter the combat zone.

The Ranger Creed

Recognizing that I volunteered as a Ranger, fully knowing the hazards of my chosen profession, I will always endeavor to uphold the prestige, honor, and high "esprit de corps" of my Ranger Regiment.

Acknowledging the fact that a Ranger is a more elite soldier who arrives at the cutting edge of battle by land, sea, or air, I accept the fact that as a Ranger my country expects me to move further, faster and fight harder than any other soldier.

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be. One Hundred-percent and then some.

Gallantly will I show the world that I'm a specially selected and well trained soldier. My courtesy to superior officers, neatness of dress and care of equipment shall set the example for others to follow.

Energetically will I meet the enemies of my country. I shall defeat them on the field of battle for I am better trained and will fight with all my might. Surrender is not a Ranger word. I will never leave a fallen comrade to fall into the hands of the enemy and under no circumstances will I ever embarrass my country.

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission, though I be the lone survivor.

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!

These soldiers are the some of the best troops that the army has today

God Bless the Troops serving overseas

Charles

Norm

I read the sad news of Mr Tillman's death this morning. Brought a proud tear to my eyes. What a great country to have fine young men such as him to help defend us. Rest in peace.

raycon

I don't recall ever hearing the name Pat Tillman before today now I don't think I'll ever forget it.

added link below on edit
http://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/pnoonan/?id=110004997
Lot of stuff..

LSUNo1

I remember two years ago when I first heard a sucessful football player was quitting the game to become an army ranger. As cynical as I am about things sometimes, I figured some slick sports agent had devised a scheme to make the guy a bezillionaire a few years down the road.

After reading further about him it became clear that this was an honorable and fine young man answering what he felt a call to duty. Nothing more.

Every so often someone like this kid comes along, could be a child, an old lady, or a housewife, whose deeds impact you. And in my case anyway inspires me to try and be a better man.

I hope someone will feel the same about my boys one day, as I do right now about Pat Tillman.

DanG

Well said, LSU.  

I expressed my admiration for Mr. Tillman, earlier, but now I'd like to tell you all what kind of company he is keeping, now. As I said, I knew a few of these people in the past, and consider it my honor to have known them. None of them wanted to die for their country, or their beliefs, but they were willing to, if it came to that.

Red Koppel: Redlich Sims Koppel was the best friend I ever had. He took me under his wing when I arrived in Ban Me Thuot, Viet Nam. He wasn't what you would think of as hero material. He had a "sissy" way of speaking, because, as an orphan, he was raised by a Grandmother and an old maid aunt. He was scared!  I've never seen anyone as scared as he was. You could snap your fingers, and he would jump! :D  He was a competent chopper pilot, though not "the best", by any means.  But he never backed down in the face of danger. I was his co-pilot on 8/23/68, when we were shot down 3 times. The only reason we quit, was, we ran out of aircraft. I was done after the first one, but he drug me through it. He was shot down again, two days later, and crashed in the middle of an enemy area. He kept his crew together, and they fought their way out. On Sept 8, he was shot down again, but this time he didn't make it. I heard his Mayday call, and could hear the fear, laced with courage in his voice.  He was ready to defend his crash site once again, but that opportunity never came.  He is with Pat Tillman tonight.

Fred Pratt:  Fred Omar Pratt was the exact opposite of Red. He was raucous and bawdy, a man's man. He was the best horseshoe pitcher I ever saw. He also had some really raunchy poems that he liked to recite. Fred had a wife and some kids that he liked to talk about. He was on his second tour, the first being as a Special Forces Sgt.  Fred was also shot down on 8/23/68, and was trapped in his aircraft. He wanted to live so strongly, that he was trying to cut off his own leg to escape, before his crew was able to get him out. He was killed two days later in an heroic attempt to silence an anti-aircraft gun. On the day he died, he was credited with over 600 enemy kills.  A training facility at Ft. Rucker, Al. is named after him. He rests with Mr. Tillman tonight.

Smoky Stover:  I don't know his full name, but he is one who should be admired by all. Smoky was a Medevac pilot. He was attached to our unit for a couple of months. He was just a regular guy, engaged to a school teacher. He went in for a "hot" extraction of some wounded GI's, and insisted that they load a wounded enemy soldier, as well. While he held his hover in the jungle PZ, his aircraft was hit by an RPG. Everybody aboard was killed.  To have put his own life on the line to save a wounded enemy soldier, I think, puts Smoky Stover on the highest plane of mankind. He also shares company with Pat, tonight.

I also know some heroes who offered up their lives, but came home to continue those lives.

I don't say these things to try and overshadow Mr. Tillman's actions, but to compliment him on the company he keeps.

D  :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Stan

Pat didn't have a scholarship when he went to college and the Cardinals got him in the last round of the draft. He ended up a starter on both teams, even though he wasn't expected to make the final cut. He did what he thought he ought to. Pat Tillman I salute you.
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Thank You Sponsors!