iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oregon chain does not fit Oregon bar

Started by Trailace, September 12, 2020, 03:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trailace

This is my first post on this great site. Lots of great information here thanks to everyone who helps out.

So my first question is about a Oregon bar and chain. I just pick up a new MS 461 with 25" bar but wanted to run this saw with a 20" bar. I ordered the bar and chain listed on Oregon web site but the chain will not fit in the grove of the bar. I dubbed check and all the number seem right. Sent the bar back and ordered another one. Same issue. Here are the parts numbers. Chain 72LGX072 and bar 200RNDD025. So what am I missing Any help will be appreciated.

lxskllr

Welcome!

Looking online, your numbers appear to be correct, but if it isn't fitting the groove, there's clearly a gauge mismatch. I'm not familiar with Oregon's system, so maybe their numbers can cover multiple gauges?

Copy/pasting a comment from @John Mc check your bar/chain with coins if you don't have calipers or anything...

"My 36ยข bar gauge checker: A dime, a penny, and a quarter. Each coin should fit snugly in the groove of the indicated bars:
   Dime    = .050
   Penny   = .058
   Quarter = .063
"

sawguy21

Do the drivers on your 25" bar fit? I am assuming it is 33RS which is .050 gauge, if it fits the Oregon chain is incorrectly labelled.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

charles mann

Its probably an issue with the chain, not the bar. If you dont have a caliper, a set of feeler gauges will work to find the thickness of the chain drive tooth. 
I was running a jonesred 2166 and bout a 20" bar for it and accidentally bought (wrong labeled box) a 0.063" chain instead of the 0.050" i needed. 
Check your chain, probably gonna be the issue
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

sawguy21

What number is stamped into the drive link?

Tacotodd

Go with @sawguy21 answer and @lxskllr  response about that $0.36 , low buck feeler gauge kit (as far as bars are concerned).
Trying harder everyday.

Tacotodd

Trying harder everyday.

Trailace

Thanks for the replies guys. Went back to the shop last night and tried one of the other 20" chains and bingo it worked. Not sure what is wrong with the first chain but maybe it was pack wrong or I mixed it up. Thanks again for the help.

Dale.NZ

Sounds like you're already sorted but just in case someone else is looking for the correct chain: 

- assuming 3/8 pitch + semi chisel here in NZ for the .063 stihl gauge we use Oregon's 75EXL chain for our foresters
Yep, retailer -- but I'm learning not selling!

John Mc

Quote from: Dale.NZ on September 13, 2020, 04:54:15 PM
Sounds like you're already sorted but just in case someone else is looking for the correct chain:

- assuming 3/8 pitch + semi chisel here in NZ for the .063 stihl gauge we use Oregon's 75EXL chain for our foresters
I believe Oregon 75EXL is a full chisel chain.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

sawguy21

I sold Oregon chain for a few years, don't recall any 75 series going out the door. We moved some .404x.063 for the guys with big Stihls on the coast.

John Mc

Quote from: sawguy21 on September 16, 2020, 01:48:54 PM
I sold Oregon chain for a few years, don't recall any 75 series going out the door. We moved some .404x.063 for the guys with big Stihls on the coast.
I've got a couple of loops of 73EXL waiting to try as soon as I use up the 73LGX I have on that saw now.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Dale.NZ

Quote from: John Mc on September 16, 2020, 12:35:55 PM

Yeah, you're correct @John Mc  ---> it is full chisel. My mistake. 
We've used the 75 series as our 063 gauge chains and the 73 series for our 050 gauge, but we're in NZ so I'm not sure if it changes anything. 
Yep, retailer -- but I'm learning not selling!

John Mc

Quote from: Dale.NZ on September 16, 2020, 05:15:59 PM
Quote from: John Mc on September 16, 2020, 12:35:55 PM

Yeah, you're correct @John Mc  ---> it is full chisel. My mistake.
We've used the 75 series as our 063 gauge chains and the 73 series for our 050 gauge, but we're in NZ so I'm not sure if it changes anything.
73 series is 058.
72 series is 050.

Real1shepherd

Quote from: sawguy21 on September 16, 2020, 01:48:54 PM
Oregon 68CJ is square file, skip-tooth .404x.063 gauge chain. Been using that configuration most of my life. We never said "full-skip", but skip-tooth. We did say "full-comp" though.

Kevin

Thank You Sponsors!