iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do you figure???

Started by CLL, May 31, 2007, 09:53:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CLL

I had a man call that wants to cover the ceiling of his gazebo with cedar. Question is how do you figure how many board feet will it take. The gazebo is 14 X 16 and about 6 feet from top of wall to peak. Don't have a clue. help!!
Too much work-not enough pay.

tomboysawyer

Is it rectangular or octagonal? (Because I'm not seeing a 14' x 16' octagon...)

When you know two sides of any triangle, you can always calculate the third because a2 + b2 = c2.

If the gable end is on the 16' side, the triangle has one side that is half of that (8') and one side that is 6'.

64 + 36 = 100 and the square root of 100 is 10 (this direction is easy, because that's a 3/4/5 triangle). Then each side of the ceiling is 10' x 14' (times 2). So your total area is 280 sq. ft. As with other threads, any board thinner than 1" still gets sold at the 1" thickness rate, so you have 280 bf of cedar.

The other direction (with the 14' side being the gable end) is a bit tougher math. But any computer has a calculator to do this for you (use the "sqrt" button on your MS calculator).

49+36=85  The square root of 85 is 9.22. Multiply that by 16 and by 2 and you get 295 bf.

If it were me, I'd buy some extra.

CLL

Thanks Tomboysawyer, I appreciate the info. Like I said I didn't have a clue.
Too much work-not enough pay.

Cedarman

You have to have one 90 degree angle in the triangle for  Pythagorus to get credit. .  Former math teacher.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

DanG

About halfway through Tomboysawyer's post, I went crosseyed, so I went back and took a quick, holistic view of Brdmkr's doors.  It was awesome! 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

fat olde elf

Looks like DanG might have adult onset attention deficit disorder...He is not old enough to have dementia like us oldtimers......Keep the faith....
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

WDH

Quote from: DanG on May 31, 2007, 10:45:59 PM
About halfway through Tomboysawyer's post, I went crosseyed, so I went back and took a quick, holistic view of Brdmkr's doors.  It was awesome! 8) 8)

Yes, there is no doubt.  By tomorrow, DanG will be espousing the secrets of the Universe to all the Forestry Forum (and anybody else who will listen, except Texans, who don't listen to anyone ;)).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tomboysawyer

Quote from: Cedarman on May 31, 2007, 10:26:48 PM
You have to have one 90 degree angle in the triangle for  Pythagorus to get credit. .  Former math teacher.

touche - my bad for saying "any". It should have been any right angled triangle.

former math whiz :)

Tom

I'm sure glad somebody knows what they are talking about.

Current math idiot :P

maple flats

Just have the customer tell you how much he wants, that way his loss from angles cutting producing scrap is his computation problem too. (did I just say what I thought I said?) ;D
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Don P

I'm still worried about Pythagorus being Cedarman's former math teacher

WDH

Maple Flats,

I understood it, but I had to read it three times :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Cedarman

I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

pappy

Quote from: WDH on May 31, 2007, 11:42:26 PM

Yes, there is no doubt.  By tomorrow, DanG will be espousing the secrets of the Universe to all the Forestry Forum

I'm still a waitin' Dang  ;D :D ;D  :D ;D

CLL,
I figuratin approx 350 fbm...  Don't ask me how I know that  ::) ( ok this is how I did it 14' X 16' and add 50%)  but it sounds like a good start and if he runs out he'll be back...  ;D

Tim the mathly challenged, but I do have a calculator  ;D
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

isawlogs

smiley_wavy smiley_wavy Pop_corn  Good thing I have friends that can read english better then me , yep, and then they read it and dont understand any better den me  ;D
I was real good in math ... but it was a whole different typo math .  ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

leweee

:D Anybody see were I put that tapemeasure ??? :D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Paschale

Quote from: leweee on June 02, 2007, 10:48:07 PM
:D Anybody see were I put that tapemeasure ??? :D

That's my biggest math challenge most of the time.    ;D Even when I decide to buy extras, I never can find one.   ::)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

tomboysawyer

Thought a picture might help.

Notice that this does not account for any overhang.

CLL knows two sides of the rectangular footing and the hieght of the roof. What he needs is the length of the angled part of the roof.

If you know any two sides of a right-angled triangle, you can calculate the third.
In this case, we know the height of the roof: 6' (the blue dashed line in the picture - or "b")
We also know the length of each end but I don't know which end is the gable end. So I did it both ways. We'll figure the gable end is the 16' dimension, but you can do it any way you want.

Where the 6' peak meets the 16' dimension we are going to assume it meets in the middle. If it doesn't, well, then we have two different rectangular areas. But if it DOES meet in the middle that means that "a" (or the gold line) is 8' (or one half of 16').

Now we need to calculate "c" the hypotenuse of this right angled triangle and we use the Pathagorean theorum (my spelling's not so good tonight).

a2 + b2 = c2

Squaring something is just multiplying it by itself so that formula looks like this:

( 8 x 8 ) + ( 6 x 6 ) = c2
   64     +  36     = c2
         100          = c2

To figure out "c" we need to take the square root of both sides of the equation. If you don't have a calculator handy, especially with lumber, you can just keep trying multiplying numbers by themselves until you find one close enough. In this case, though, 10 times 10 is exactly 100 so "c" equals 10.

Then to get the area of one side of the roof, you multiply the two sides of the rectangle: 10 x 14 = 140
There are two of 'em so that would be 2 x 140 = 280

Enjoy!!

SwampDonkey

Quote from: tomboysawyer on June 01, 2007, 06:48:00 PM
Quote from: Cedarman on May 31, 2007, 10:26:48 PM

touche - my bad for saying "any". It should have been any right angled triangle.

former math whiz :)

Dropping the 2 x a x b x COS(θ) is for right triangles, since COS(90°) is 0.

:)

For triangles with two known sides forming a 60° angle at their vertex, the remaining side is:

Since COS(60°) is 1/2 all your left with on the tail of the equation is "- a x b"
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!