iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Swine flu (aka H1N1)

Started by Warbird, April 29, 2009, 10:36:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Woodworth

Just what are the general symtoms?
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

VT

pappy19

My son, AJ, just got back to Idaho from being in Cabo, and he has the swine flu. He is in bed at home now and not feeling too good. Your prayers would be appreciated. Thanks-

Pappy
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Brucer

Quote from: DanG on April 30, 2009, 06:45:01 AM
I wonder how many of the cases have actually been determined to be swine flu, or are they just assuming that everybody who gets sick has it?  Maybe they have salmonella from eating Florida tomatoes or peanut butter. ::)

The World Health Organization is only reporting numbers that have been confirmed, in the lab, to be H1N1-A. Their numbers for number of cases and number of deaths are considerably lower than the numbers reported by the Mexican government.

To balance this, their are a lot of samples from Mexico to be tested. I don't know if they are able to test for it themselves yet -- the first suspected cases were tested in a lab in Winnipeg (Canada).

Quote from: John Woodworth on April 30, 2009, 10:45:51 AM
Just what are the general symtoms?

Pretty much the same as for influenza in general. Some or all of the following ...
- comes on suddenly.
- high fever, lasting 3 to 4 days.
- shaking chills.
- body aches.
- muscle pain.
- headache.
- pain when you move your eyes.
- fatigue.
- weakness.
- runny nose.
- H1N1-A is reported to have a higher than usual incidence of diarrhea.
- typically lasts 7 to 10 days.

Conventional at-home treatment.
- Rest, as much as you can. Don't try to get active too soon.
- Plenty of extra fluids. Fever and diarrhea suck the moisture out of you.
- Avoid sugared drinks. Sugar depresses your immune system.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Adam_MA

Quote from: pappy19 on April 30, 2009, 01:05:18 PM
My son, AJ, just got back to Idaho from being in Cabo, and he has the swine flu. He is in bed at home now and not feeling too good. Your prayers would be appreciated. Thanks-

Pappy

You have my thoughts and prayers for a fast recovery!

isawlogs

They have dropped calling it the swine flue here , they are now calling it simply the  A-H1N1 flue . Seams the porc market was taking a beating .

Why was it called the swine flueto begin with  ::) ??? ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

They confirmed today that the disease has never been found in pigs, only in humans. So wouldn't ya just wonder who started that name?
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

CLL

I don't understand the CHICKEN LITTLE affect, and if that isn't enough the Vice President goes on TV today and does his best to fuel it. DUMMY!!! Basically the white house said then he had bad information. If you don't have good information don't offer advice on national tv.
Too much work-not enough pay.

Part_Timer

I'm scared to death of it.  I think I'll take a 6 month vacation from work, go to the farm and build a cabin by myself so I can't get it.  ;) 
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Ron Wenrich

I heard a doctor give the explanation of why you should be concerned.  It seems that the pandemic in 1918 started with a similar type of bacteria, and it began in early spring.  Then, in the summer it died down.  When it mutated and came back in the fall, it wiped out large amounts of the population. They're afraid this one might do the same.

Things to remember is that guys were coming back from trench warfare in Europe, and there were not nearly the amount of medical advances.  It was said that a guy would have a tickle in his throat in the morning and be dead by nightfall.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

StorminN

I think the name "swine flu" has to do with this... pig farm link... authorities think H1N1 started with flies breeding in the pig crappola lagoons next to the factory pig farms (owned by Smithfield Foods) in Perote, Veracruz, Mexico.

From the link:
According to residents, the company denied responsibility for the outbreak and attributed the cases to "flu." However, a municipal health official stated that preliminary investigations indicated that the disease vector was a type of fly that reproduces in pig waste and that the outbreak was linked to the pig farms. It was unclear whether health officials had identified a suspected pathogen responsible for this outbreak.

-N.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

florida

36,000 people die every year in the USA from flu, 250,000 world wide. We need to keep some perspective on this. Every 12 seconds some dies from malaria, 2,700,000 a year. Remember Avian flu? No one in the USA died from it. Lawsuits put the flu vaccine manufacturers out of business in America so that now only one company is left to produce the annual vaccine.  They can only produce 25 million doses a year and have to start producing the vaccine the year before without knowing what strain of flu they need to protect against. The shot is probably better than nothing but you'd better get there early! 
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Dana

Pappy19 If you haven't done so yet you should take him to the hospital to be looked at. At least that is what the media says the recommendation is. I hope he is doing better.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

donny hochstetler

quiet down guys ,our OBAMA can and will fix it . 8) 8) :D :D

Warbird

Given that there are no drugs that treat this and all they can do for you is make sure you don't get too dehydrated, I wonder if the reason they want folks to go to the hospitals is just so they can track numbers?

OneWithWood

Quote from: donny hochstetler on May 01, 2009, 09:01:37 AM
quiet down guys ,our OBAMA can and will fix it . 8) 8) :D :D

Let's keep the political pot shots in the restricted area.  These comments do nothing to further a discussion that could contain meaningful information.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

DanG

I agree, OWW!

WB, I'm sure that tracking has something to do with it, but people with severe dehydration frequently need IV fluids.  The flu can prevent you from taking enough fluids by mouth.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Warbird

Agreed, OWW.  DanG, I've only been that dehydrated once in my life and it wasn't any fun.  It is odd that this flu apparently hits 20 - 40 year olds harder than everyone else.

pigman

Me thinks this strain of flu is similar enough to a flu that was around over 40 years ago that us Ol'farts have some immnuity. 8)   :-\
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

tcsmpsi

Perhaps even old swine raisers?   :D

Well, if years of being continually and intimately subjected to swine fecal matter helps, I'll be good to go.

On another note, I do not understand the full disclosure of the Swine Flue scare.  Tens of thousands, in this country, die every year of some type of flue virus.  I'm certain the numbers in other countries are similarly reflective. 

I can very easily imagine the numbers of deaths annually in a city and area as densely populated as Mexico City. 
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Warbird

I just got back from a church retreat.  While there, got to talking to the Elders about all of this.  One of them is 80 years old and another one has a doctorate in Biology.  Between all of us, we came to the conclusion that most of this is just hype.  We'll see...

Paul_H

My eldest daughter called to tell us they dicovered a cure.It's an oinkment.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

DanG

"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Warbird

Brucer

The virus has genes from human, pig, and avian flu viruses. And it seems that pigs can get this version from humans.

A farm worker in Alberta returned from a trip to Mexico and came down with the virus. Subsequently 220 pigs (about 10% of the farm population) became ill. And yes, it's been confirmed that it's the same virus.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2009/05/02/swineflu-ns-cases789.html

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!