iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milled timber farm gate?

Started by jpgreen, August 29, 2007, 01:13:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpgreen

Anyone make or have a picture of a home made farm gate?

I need 2 and can't afford to buy steel right now.
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

rbhunter

My Grand dad used to make wooden ones for the farm. If I remember right he used oak. I think they used to have four boards going accoss and three going up and down. One on each end and one in the middle. Than sometimes he would use a board going diagonally from the top on the side that hung on the post to the bottom of the otherside. Other times he would use a steel cable. I cannot remember the dimmensions of the lumber. It has been a long time. The last one must have been back in the mid 70"s.
"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."
author unknown. Used to hang above parents fireplace.

Ron Wenrich

I've used that design, but the diagonal should run from the bottom at the post side to the top of the open side.  It adds to the support.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Dan_Shade

I think if you use a cable, you want it to go from the top of the hinge side to the bottom of the latch side, but if you use a board, you go from the bottom to the top.

you can't push with a string :)

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Don P

danG, I type too slow  :D

The way I was shown on doors or gates is to put a wooden diagonal the way Ron said. Wood does good in compression and it puts that strut in compression. If the diagonal is steel then it runs from the top hinge corner down to the bottom strike corner. Small steel cannot take any compression but can take loads of tension.

Fla._Deadheader

I youster run the diagonal board from the bottom corner of unsupported end to ABOVE the gate about 3 feet, right to the post. Sometimes, that "push up" that goes from the post UP to the top unsupported end, will cause the gate to bow and sag sideways.

I used 1 X 6 uprights, and 1 X 4 for the cross pieces. Didn't care that much if it didn't look prefesshunell, kept the Holsteins in.  ::) 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

jpgreen

Holsteins... those things make milk right?. ... ??? ;D

jpgreen

1x sounds light and easy.  I basically need to keep kids out with their atv's as I just bought a fixer house and learned they had been using this property for a short cut..  ::)

jpgreen

Found this one from "Handy Farm Devises" website:

Dan_Shade

good luck on that.

put up a sign that says "all trepassers will be shot"  with the misuse of words, they may think you're off centered enough to do it!

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

DanG

I like the one that says, "Trespassers will be shot.  Survivors will be shot again." ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Dan_Shade

ack, I did my post wrong!

"all trespassers will be shoot!"

there used to be an old crazy fool down the road from where I grew up that had that sign out. 

jpgreen

This area has a low, low crime rate as it's known as "Armed and Dangerous".

I like that..  ;D

treebucker

It is becoming popular to support long gates with a legnth of small cable from the top of the latch end to about 5-6' up on the hinge post. There it is connected to a gate hinge. This is easier to build than the wheel design and works better when the snow is deep or the weeds are high. I've got a feeling that TSC has a special hinge for this.

Simple rules:
Outdoor - rot resistent species
Confinement areas (stables, corrals, barn lots, etc.) for large animals - thicker strong woods (1.5 - 2" thick) and higher designs (6'+)
Outdoor "line" gates - 3/4 - 1" rot resistent species. Mounted about 60" high.

I mainly use a design like rbhunter outlined. I use 5 rungs if I'm using 5" wide (or less) boards and 4 rungs if I'm using 8"+ boards. I try to be mindfull of an animal getting its head caught between the rungs. So I space the lower boards closer togather because shorter animals have smaller heads.  I make sure the top rung is strong as this is the one animals most often test by raring up and putting their weight on. I've found that it's easier to put the center upright on the opposite side of the end uprights. This allows the diagonal to be installed between the end uprights without being cut in two.

Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and
I thought to myself, "Where the heck is the ceiling?!" - Anon

DanG

:D :D :D

Sometimes it's good to be thought a crazy old fool.  I've gone to great lengths to nourish that perception around here. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

schmism

i think i want one that says something like

I shoot 1/2" groups at 300 yards.
         range to this spot 287yds
039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

rbhunter

I want to see the picture of the rifle you are shooting and the specs on that group.
:o   :D
"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."
author unknown. Used to hang above parents fireplace.

customsawyer

I like the one that says enter at own risk honey bees at work. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Dave Shepard

Anyone found here at night will be found here in the morning.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

jrokusek

A long time ago I was at an old run down gas station and saw a sign that said, "Shoplifters will be Prostituted."  I had to re-read that one a few times....

pineywoods

Quote from: DanG on August 29, 2007, 09:42:49 AM
:D :D :D

Sometimes it's good to be thought a crazy old fool.  I've gone to great lengths to nourish that perception around here. ;D

Hey, I try to do the same here. Plus, I encourage the rumor that the one-armed old woman that lives here is a crack shot with a pistol.. ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Mtnjack

Friends may enter, others not, friends will be fed and others shot!!!

Ernie

Here are a couple of gates that we made last week, one is 3.5 meters long (11.5 ft) and the other 3.9.(12.75 ft)  They are made of tanalized pinus radiata, treated to H3.2.  All the timber, we milled on the farm.  We used 150 X 50 (2X6)  all the bolts are 3/8 ths galvanized.  The top gudgeons must be all the way through the posts with nuts on the backside of the post due to the weight of the gate, they would pull out otherwise.  the bottom gudgeons are the standard screw in ones

A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

jpgreen

Nice gate thanks.  Nice lookin' critters too..  :)

sawdust

Trespassers found here at night,,,, will be found here in the morning.

dc
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Thank You Sponsors!