iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

390xp won't start

Started by mredden, September 04, 2019, 11:45:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mredden

Was milling Monday and started throwing dust. Decided to stop mid cut and sharpen. When I slowed the revs to idle, it cut off. Spit test on bar produced no bubbling. Engine was hot, but did not seem abnormally so.

Pulled the saw out and started to sharpen. However, as I pulled the chain by hand, the engine "glug-glugged" as if the piston was turning over. I tried to re-start and it wouldn't fire. Called it a day and loaded up.

Next morning, I tried to crank it. No go. Pulled the muffler, and the piston looked great. Spark plug all tan and nice. Tested for fire. Nice and blue. Cleaned air filter which wasn't bad anyway. Let the carb air out for a couple of hours. Reassembled and tried to start it. No go.

Tried the flooded engine technique cranking with throttle open and choke closed. Only tried about ten pulls and quit. Maybe should have tried more.

The engine still "glug gluggs" when I rotate the chain by hand.

Suggestions for someone who is not a mechanic? I would rather not take it to my dealer

barbender

Sounds like your clutch is hung up. It shouldn't spin the engine rotating the chain by hand.
Too many irons in the fire

mredden

Quote from: barbender on September 04, 2019, 01:25:25 PM
Sounds like your clutch is hung up. It shouldn't spin the engine rotating the chain by hand.
Thanks. Now, I can take it off and look for breakage or other irregularities. Don't really know exactly what to look for other than "it just don't look right".
Thanks again.

hedgerow

Did you happen to get the chain- clutch cover full of saw dust locking the clutch up?

mredden

It did not seem to have any more dust under the clutch cover than usual - though "dust" is not really the best word. I was running an auxiliary oiler wide open in 32" pecan, so the dust was more like "goo."

Indeed, two slabs earlier, my bar was not oiling properly at the clutch, ( I noticed oil accumulating on top of the bar at the powerhead end) so I had removed the bar and an obstruction in the oiler hole. I cleaned out the clutch cover etc at that time pretty thoroughly. ( field clean - not shop clean)

Hopefully, I'll have time tonight to pull the clutch and inspect it. Grease it at the least. We'll see.

mredden

Sprocket now freed up thanks to some engine oil ( like the owner' manual says  🤔 In the maintenance section.

We'll see if she starts in the morning

Thank You Sponsors!