iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

660 Stihl VS 661 Stihl

Started by hedgerow, September 26, 2019, 02:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hedgerow

Been looking at some 660's that are low hour saws in nice condition prices are running with in two to three hundred of what a new 661 is. Are all the issues with what 661's had worked out and its good to buy one. What ever saw I buy won't get a ton of hours on it just will be used on the farm to take the big stuff down. I run a 36 inch on my 461 now but need a bigger saw for the bigger bars. 

lxskllr

What issues did the 661 have? I got one this year, but don't have a lot of time on it. So far it's worked flawlessly.

Reddawg

What are you cutting hedgerow? Running a 36 on a 461 should get just about anyone out of the woods on the farm going for a cold one. I've got a 36 on mine and I'm just about as big as I would go unless you just want a single pass at its.

hedgerow

Quote from: Reddawg on September 26, 2019, 06:03:21 PM
What are you cutting hedgerow? Running a 36 on a 461 should get just about anyone out of the woods on the farm going for a cold one. I've got a 36 on mine and I'm just about as big as I would go unless you just want a single pass at its.
Once in a while we take down some big hedge, big locust or cotton wood. The 461 handles the 36 bar just seems to be a little hard on the saw. I used to have a Solo 694 for a big saw about the size of a 661 and it worked great until I had a couple shoulder surgery's and starting it be came a problem with no de compression so I sold it. I just had heard some of early 661 had electronic issues 

DWyatt

My neighbor who is a logger said they quit running the 661s because they would get hot after cutting a tree and if they shut them off, they wouldn't be able to start them again until they cooled completely. Said they would die occasionally in the middle of cutting a tree down. He says they shelved all of the 661s and exclusively run 441s with a 32" bar cutting hardwood all day and they love them.

Reddawg

I can only speak in my experience , but there is not much that the 461 can't handle if you keep the bar length within reasonable lengths and a sharp chain always. If you are running a full comp chain at 36, try a full skip and although you may not win any speed competitions, it sure will be easier to touch up with a file stroke or two when it starts to dull out. I've not heard any good about the 441, and glad that I was able to get my 461R before they sold out. It's a keeper and will outwork you long before it gets tired. Try some different configurations and you will learn a lot about the saw. I learned through trial and error in large elm wood stands that you have to get it dialed in right , a few times, or you would better off with a buck saw. Now that's rough on the shoulders!

lxskllr

Quote from: DWyatt on September 27, 2019, 06:26:42 AM
My neighbor who is a logger said they quit running the 661s because they would get hot after cutting a tree and if they shut them off, they wouldn't be able to start them again until they cooled completely. Said they would die occasionally in the middle of cutting a tree down. He says they shelved all of the 661s and exclusively run 441s with a 32" bar cutting hardwood all day and they love them.
So far I've milled ~20"x10' ash @ 80F, and have had zero problems. I slack off the throttle every so often to let it rest a little, but it's straight through to the end. Let it idle a little for the cooldown cycle, shut it off, refuel/oil, and it starts first pull. I've run ~7 tanks of fuel through it, so not a lot of experience, but so far, so good.

hedgerow

Quote from: DWyatt on September 27, 2019, 06:26:42 AM
Funny you should say this as I called about a 660 yesterday and the guy called back today sounds like he is a collector builder of Stihl saws. He is south of St Louis Mo. He was saying the loggers in his area was having the same problem with the 661 not wanting to restart when hot. He was rebuilding 660 for them . 

olcowhand

I'm not sure I have enough experience with my 661 to weigh in, but mine started harder when hot- and I had to start without using choke and throttle W/O earlier. I now have 15- 18 tanks of fuel through it (all hot weather) and it starts with one pull, using the recommended starting procedure. I can also say that that saw is a running beast for both Felling/ bucking or CSM-ing Hardwoods. I love it. I also have a 461 that I can't leave behind when I head out, although I would never consider running a 36" bar for my use. I still see some 461s on the Dealer shelves, and they are a bargain. My two cents' worth (if it's even worth that....).
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

hedgerow

Thanks for the reply's. Looks like the jury is still out on the 661's but for the most part they seem to be working well. I have plenty of time as its grain harvest time. I will just keep looking and may find a low hour 660 for the right price. 

hedgerow

So we have been getting a lot of rain in my area and corn and bean harvest on hold. Found a 660 100 miles away guy had bought it new and hadn't been used a ton. Still had original bar on it. So I went for a drive yesterday. Saw looked good pulled muffler piston and cylinder looked good. Saw started right up and cut a big oak log into rounds he had laying there. Ended up buying the saw for $800 which I felt like was a heck of a buy. He was tired of people with no money and ones that said they were coming and didn't show up. The saw should fit my needs for no more than I need a big saw. Its sure nice to have one with a de compression button. 

lxskllr

That's a fantastic deal! All things being equal, I think I'd prefer the 661, but not for the price premium over what you got the 660 for. I'd have jumped on that too  :^)

hedgerow

Just a quick up date on the used 660 I bought. It rained here  over night Friday so grain harvest got delayed. The same two guys that help haul grain for me during harvest also help me cut wood so we switched over and processed some firewood. The one likes to run a chain saw and I had some large locust logs that needed bucked up. He ran about two gallons of mix threw the new to me 660 and it ran prefect. He was impressed with the saw. I going to mark it a good buy. 

Iceboy

Quote from: DWyatt on September 27, 2019, 06:26:42 AMthey quit running the 661s because they would get hot after cutting a tree and if they shut them off, they wouldn't be able to start them again until they cooled completely

Had the same issue on my 2015 saw. It was the solenoid valve. Once you change to the new WHITE solenoid valve and the ORANGE pick up body-Fuel filter, no more hot starting issues

John

Thank You Sponsors!