iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Echo 3450 circa 2001

Started by terrifictimbersllc, February 15, 2021, 09:05:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

I inherited an Echo 3450 which has probably had very light use from one owner.  While I have other good saws, I would like to keep it because of its weight.

It starts fine with a little choke adjustment to keep it running, and after that can revv it good, no problems.  Problem is that when using it in a cut say 6" diameter logs after a bit it will falter and eventually stop.  Start it up and repeat, no problem until trying to saw much with it.

The spark plug gap looks very dry.  It feels like a lack of fuel problem but the plastic primer bubble on top remains completely full maybe with some air bubbles swirling to the top. 

I didnt adjust the idle or high speed screws as the performance seems fine except under load. 

Could it be that pickup tube or fuel line need replacing? what else should I look at. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Tacotodd

It's probably fuel related. Before anything else, I would try to adjust the fuel quantity while the saw is "in the cut". I did that to all of mine and they start fine, run fine, and cut extremely well.

Echo's are a little bit of a different animal. A little less RPM but if you're not in production and you don't have a regular pro saw beside it to compare to, then you'll never notice. 

At least, that's MY opinion!
Trying harder everyday.

terrifictimbersllc

What do you mean by adjust fuel quantity? High speed screw? how much throttle?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Tacotodd

You ultimately adjust both, it's a little bit of a dance to get them EXACTLY right. All of this stuff is while it's in the wood, preferably full bar length. Full throttle. 

Start with the high. When you get as fast or cut when your normal cutting pressure, then you check to see if you can get it to idle without it loading up and stalling. Then, if both of those are right you can check to see if you can go full throttle and get practically immediate response.

That's how I did mine and BOY does it cut and perform all the way through! Not to mention all day long.
Trying harder everyday.

terrifictimbersllc

Just to confirm, you are suggesting to optimize the high speed screw when in a cut at full throttle?

And to re-adjust, if necessary the low speed screw and idle screw, at idle.

Sound like i got it?

Tacotodd

Like I said, a dance. You change 1 thing then it's going to effect something else go back and forth until "just right".
Trying harder everyday.

Thank You Sponsors!