iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New land purchase

Started by PapaPhive, March 05, 2021, 06:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PapaPhive

Good evening forestry friends. I am happy to say I am finally a land owner again and ready to get back into the sawdust playground after being away approximately 13 years. I have never been an expert at anything, but love tools and have spent countless hours in a shop working with all things wood.  Fortunately, this purchase is full of mature hard woods in Northern VA and will soon be the location of a new home build. Before then, I will plan on buying a new pro grade chain saw and will likely rent a mini excavator for some clearing. (Haven't decided yet if I will hire a portable saw mill or purchase one myself...but that is another topic). 

Anyhow, I am in need of a new chainsaw and have my eye on the Stihl MS 261 C-M. I have not located a local dealer yet, but do have some emails out asking about stock. 

If I can't locate this particular model, any others that are comparable I should consider?  Any reasons I shouldn't consider this model?

Looking forward to the coming adventures!  Thank you!

DDW_OR

welcome back to the sawdust.

how many acres, land topography, equipment

good idea of renting an excavator.

get the sawmill. barn, house, other buildings

also look into an OWF for this year or 2022.
there is a Fed tax credit.
"26 percent of the purchase and installation costs for tax years 2021 and 2022; reduces to 22 percent of purchase and installation costs in 2023......The new Sec. 25(D) tax credit is for qualified models and installation and is at 26% throughout 2021 and 2022 before decreasing to 22% in 2023"

check with the manufacture if they have financing such as 12 month same as cash.
"let the machines do the work"

PapaPhive

Wow, that is interesting. Definitely need to consider that!  The Large Flush Wood Hybrid-Fyre™ looks nice, but it's strange that is limited to so few qualifying models right?

The land is 22 acres generally flat sloping from 950' at road to 850' at stream. House and barn will go at approx 900' sea level. The land is in forestry conservation for 20 acres so I have about 2 acres to work with between home, barn, road, garden, etc. 

If the Stihl doesn't work out I have also been looking at the Husqvarna 550XP Mark 2.  Are those fairly comparable?

Patrick NC

I have a 550xp mk2 and it's a lot of saw for 50cc. I love it. I can't speak for the ms261 because I've never used one. I think either one would be a good buy with a good local dealer. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

DHansen

I also have the Husqvarna 550 XP MK.II and have been very happy with it so far. I have a 16" bar on mine.  A narrow kerf bar.  I have been impressed with it's performance.

DDW_OR

I am on the West coastal area, what can you NOT do with "forestry conservation" land

have an Echo 310. it is my go-to saw for 99% of gas cutting
and a 120V corded Homelite for around the buildings and mill

also an old Jonsereds 81, 30 in bar, no chain break, no compression release
Homelite 4618c, needs work
husqvarna 45, my second go-to saw for gas cutting
Ryobi 18v chainsaw, slow, powerful and does the job

a sharp chain will make any good saw better

PapaPhive

Quote from: DDW_OR on March 06, 2021, 02:31:07 AM
I am on the West coastal area, what can you NOT do with "forestry conservation" land
Well, it's a choice for the land owner who hires an arborist to conduct a forestry management plan which gets submitted to the county. For a period of time (6 years), I must preserve a minimum of 20 acres to sustain wildlife and prevent issues with runoff in the mountain overlay district. I can clean it up, but can't clear it.  In turn, those 20 acres are tax at an incredibly reduced rate. Practically untaxed at I think around $70 annually. I can renew it after 6 years, but need a new forestry management plan after 12. 

hedgerow

Quote from: PapaPhive on March 06, 2021, 08:42:38 AM

Well, it's a choice for the land owner who hires an arborist to conduct a forestry management plan which gets submitted to the county. For a period of time (6 years), I must preserve a minimum of 20 acres to sustain wildlife and prevent issues with runoff in the mountain overlay district. I can clean it up, but can't clear it.  In turn, those 20 acres are tax at an incredibly reduced rate. Practically untaxed at I think around $70 annually. I can renew it after 6 years, but need a new forestry management plan after 12.
Welcome to the sawdust land again and the forum. Not knowing what size trees you are cutting but I bought a 261 CM late summer early fall to go with my 461 and my 660. Cut up around 15 cord or so hedge with it and the more tanks of mix that went threw it the better it ran. I am just running a 16 inch bar on mine. Like the saw and would buy another and I might do that this year. I wish I had some land taxes like you do. My cheapest pasture ground is over $70 an acre. 

PapaPhive

Quote from: hedgerow on March 08, 2021, 10:44:11 AM
Quote from: PapaPhive on March 06, 2021, 08:42:38 AM

Welcome to the sawdust land again and the forum.
Thanks!  
Well, looks like I am going to go with the Husqvarna 550XP Mark II since the Stihl is impossible to locate.  It seems like a great saw and I am sure it will be perfect for my use. 
Now to research pole barn builders. 

PapaPhive

Went to local Husky dealer and they only have the 550XP Mark II with 16" bar in stock. They can order it with 20" bar, but it is on back order until June. 

I can buy the 16" and order a 20" bar and chain for another $90, but I don't think I really have a need for a 16" and a 20". I would rather spend that money on chains and fuel. 

What is the largest tree I should be cutting with a 16"?  

I want to be loyal to the local shop, but should I consider calling around?  Thoughts?  

Guydreads

Well, some may disagree but as far as I'm concerned you can probably go 30 inches. I guess the drawback is: you're not gonna have a good hinge, unless you bore cut it, which is fine, if you're good at felling trees. That's my opinion. If you wanna play it safe go max 24.

Tacotodd

Call around and go with the recommendation that @Guydreads has made.
Trying harder everyday.

DDW_OR

Quote from: PapaPhive on March 10, 2021, 09:27:59 AM
Now to research pole barn builders.
go BIG with lean-to on each of the long sides

PapaPhive

Quote from: Guydreads on March 10, 2021, 01:47:50 PM
Well, some may disagree but as far as I'm concerned you can probably go 30 inches. I guess the drawback is: you're not gonna have a good hinge, unless you bore cut it, which is fine, if you're good at felling trees. That's my opinion. If you wanna play it safe go max 24.
Thank you. Since the 550XP Mark II recommends the max bar length to be 20", do you recommend a different model for the 24" or 30"?  

PapaPhive

It appears as they have a 576XP with 24" bar in stock and I can pick that up for $850. It's more saw than I need, and a bit higher than I wanted to spend, but is it worth it?

rasawing

Quote from: PapaPhive on March 05, 2021, 06:15:25 PMAnyhow, I am in need of a new chainsaw and have my eye on the Stihl MS 261 C-M. I have not located a local dealer yet, but do have some emails out asking about stock.  If I can't locate this particular model, any others that are comparable I should consider?  Any reasons I shouldn't consider this model?

I own a 260. It's a good saw for medium sized stuff. But if you are regularly cutting 10" diameter or more.....I'd recommend a bigger saw. I have a MS 660 (the current equivalent is the 661 as far as I know)....and am happy with its performance. 

Tacotodd

My 372 wears a 28", my 365 (that's been turned into a 372) wears a 20", my Echo CS550P wears a 16" that I converted to wear 3/8 instead of .325.
Trying harder everyday.

DHansen

Quote from: PapaPhive on March 10, 2021, 04:45:14 PM
It appears as they have a 576XP with 24" bar in stock and I can pick that up for $850. It's more saw than I need, and a bit higher than I wanted to spend, but is it worth it?
I am surprised they have a 576XP left on the shelf.  I thought that saw was discontinued.  The 576XP is a nice saw, More muscle than the 550xp Mk. II you were thinking about.  Depends what size wood you'll be cutting the most of.   Both are nice saws, but the 550XP is lighter.  The 576XP will pull a larger bar.

DDW_OR

Quote from: PapaPhive on March 10, 2021, 04:45:14 PM
16 +16 =32 cut
the long bar is best for cutting the tree down
my Echo 310 with a 16 bar does 95% of my cutting
10.5 pounds
30.5 cc engine
$200

use the $650 difference in price to buy good sharpeners and extra chains, and a peavey log turner, and non-ethanol fuel

Thank You Sponsors!