iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fixing the John Deere...Again

Started by Qweaver, March 10, 2014, 06:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Well yes,discontinued. But they replaced it with a newer model,diffeant style. When the 110 TLB ran it's course with JD it was replaced with another model in the same  hp range and than I hope the problem was fixed with a whole diffeant model.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Qweaver

Everyone that has used this machine has commented on how strong and how well it works, including me.  But all of the problems with 400 and 1200 hours just is not acceptable.  No wonder that JD only warrants it for one year.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Hilltop366

The same thing happened on the 79 case 580 we use to have, had to buy pump and drive, if I recall it was around $400 at the time for both. Case had a specific type of grease recommended for it as well.

I have avoided buying a used JD backhoe after hearing the prices of some of the parts my bil was paying for them, I got another Case.

Qweaver

The JD 110 is back together and I'm hoping this is a long term repair.  I ordered the part last Tuesday and paid for overnight shipping.  I got the part Monday, five days late.  I am so angry with JD that I'm going to take out a full page ad titled "Don't even consider buying a John Deere" that will describe my experience with the three JDs that I have bought.  My lawyer will check to make sure what I say will not make me risk lawsuit. I'll just tell the truth and hope that I cause JD enough loss of business to make them as upset as I am.
BTW this turned out to be a sintered part and I doubt it's long lifespan.  Remember what the service manager said!  >:(
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

thecfarm

Qweaver,it ain't worth it.  5 days is too long to wait for a part I feel. I got rid of one brand of tractor because I would have to wait a week for a part. A few times I had to wait 2 weeks. I had to keep the wear parts on hand. That way I had the part on hand and I would order another one and than if it took 2 weeks,it did not matter.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Qweaver

When I was taking the pump drive apart, I noted that the screws used to tighten the coupling to the pump splines were so far back under the mounting frame that it would be very difficult to key an allen wrench into the slot.  When I reassembled it I left one 1/16" thick washer out and that barely gave me room to get it in. The washer was not needed and I have a clue that this may have caused the failure and came from the factory that way.  There is a whole lot of unbolting and re-bolting to this repair and I'd sure like to avoid doing it again.  It took me a day and a half to get it all back together. 

I can remember replacing a blown clutch on my formula racing car in 40 minutes between practice sessions...and that required pulling the engine and transmission.   But that was back in the 70s and either I got way slower or tractors are not designed well for working on...or both.  :D

Al_Smith

I slight misalignment problem can cause failure long term .It doesn't take much .

Qweaver

Talked to another John Deere owner that has replaced 3 couplings on his tractor.  He was a JD mechanic at one time and said that this is a common problem.  I can just not accept that JD can not fix this fault.  It never happened on my old Ford or new Kubota and I had many more hours on both.

Thank You Sponsors!