iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Staying Busy and out of trouble, 2020-21?.

Started by Old Greenhorn, May 17, 2020, 09:40:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

Not only is it pretty clear, it is also spooky, like you read my mind. :o ;D I think, if I got you right John, that is exactly what I had in mind but I have to poke around the shop a little and see if I can't find some kind of cam or toggle clamp to fancy it up a little. I don't think I have another one of those threaded balls and I am not sure if that would make it tight enough anyway. More piddling is in store. :D
-----------------------
I forgot to mention, but I think it may be of interest to some: I had ordered blast gates for my system from an ebay seller that pretty much defaulted on the sale and I have some of my money back, but not all. While I was waiting I went to re-order and shopped all over again. Just for the heck of it I also checked out HD's price and found they were cheaper than ebay AND they had some of the more hard to find items like 2-1/2" blast gates and 4 x 2-1/2 wyes. Of course, none of it is stocked in the stores around me. So I had to order it. I thought I was ordering it to be shipped to the store for pickup but eventually learned that it had been shipped to me direct. That was fine I thought. Then I got a ship notice on Saturday that it was due to be delivered on Sunday. SO still not clear on where they are shipping it, I figured it was going to the store, but nope. Around 11am yesterday (Sunday) the box showed up via Fedex! I am kind of liking this system they have. Since I signed up for their ProXtra account (free, no credit card) and collecting 'points' or whatever they call them maybe they are throwing in the free shipping, I dunno, but I think that shipping is for anyone. I do like the purchase tracking which is very simple and helps me reconcile the books a bit easier. I will have to inquire about a commercial account, but frankly when I go to the store I pay with the company debit card which is quite easy and gives me that paper trail, so I am not sure what the commercial account would do for me.
 Anyway, that Sunday delivery was a nice surprise. Now if they could just put a person at the registers in the store I would be very happy. ;D
Time to get at it.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on March 01, 2021, 07:05:56 AMI have to poke around the shop a little and see if I can't find some kind of cam or toggle clamp
You can take some hardwood and a scroll saw and make a toggle...  You don't need a lot of pressure if you glue a strip of sandpaper to the bottom of the fence at the clamp end.  You could also cut a handle out of hardwood (circle saw) and then add lobes to it by cutting out sections with a scroll saw.  Drill and insert (press fit) a T-nut and you're done.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Old Greenhorn

Yeah, I am still rolling that around in my head but there is a lot of dead space in there, so it may take a while before something gells.  ;D  I had thought about a hardwood cam but still working on the idea.
 In the mean time I am back on dust collector hookups with the blast gates and firmer connections. I have  the router table and table saw done, now that lunch is over and the mail came with the RAS hood I will work on that one next.
 Back to it.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

aigheadish

Holy socks! I'm caught up! Quite the adventure @Old Greenhorn !

Good work across the board and I'm thrilled to watch it continue. 

I'm interested in a table for a router as well but really don't know much about them. The first time I really used a router was just last spring, so I'm still learning how they work, and I don't find things that need routed too often, yet. Any chance you can share a picture of the underside of your router table? I also assume it's good to have a router in the table and another available for random uses not in a table? 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

doc henderson

I have two palm routers (a Bosch and a Ryobi) and a rotozip for sheetrock.  and then 3 regular size routers (porter cable) with a variety of HP and size,  1/4 inch collet, 1/2 inch collet.  and a plunge base.  not counting my dad's old porter cable and my first router a Montgomery wards.  cannot really have too many, and I leave my favorite bits in some like a 1/8th inch round over in the Bosch colt, for almost any project that needs a consistent professional easing of an edge.  I bought a table back in the day that folded up, and you could mount a router, jigsaw, or skill saw to have a router table, table saw or table jig saw.  lots of time spent changing stuff for a project.  I have been doing this for almost 50 years.  you have to start at the beginning, and see where you end up.   8) :)  @aigheadish 
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

Just a quick reply, I have to get to work. First, I am glad you survived reading all that, I was a little worried about you for a bit. :D 
If you look at the first photo in the post on that table you will see the bottom side pocket for the tool. I only did that because the table top is 5/4 thick and I wanted to move the router higher so I didn't loose as much of the adjustment stroke. If you use some like 3/4 stock, you can just screw the router to the bottom of the table. I will try to get some shots of the bottom arrangement finished up, but it is a hack 'n chop job for functionality and not real pretty.  ;D
 Doc is right, routers are handy and having several is helpful. I have 3 but seem to use mostly 2. I leave a 1/4" corner rounding bit in the table one for very fast edge clean-ups and then the hand help is for other stuff. I do not have a small palm type...yet, but when one presents itself I will like pick it up if the price is right because it is only to save me having to change out bits.
 More later, time to get it on.

aigheadish

Thanks, no rush, and hack and chop jobs are about all I can do as I learn patience.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

21incher

One good thing to add to a router table is a starting pin for freehand routing. It can just be a simple hole 2 to 3 inches from the cutter with a tight fitting pin that helps the part engage the bit without allowing it to kick it back. I use mine all the time when the fence can't be used.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Old Greenhorn

21incher, I am not quite sure what this would look like, got a photo? I might be interested in trying this.

Short post tonight, I did a few things out in the shop and spent a bunch of time reading a new book I got to help me with these new book keeping chores so maybe I can understand it (Bookkeeping for Dummies), but it might be over my head. ;D

Here is the photo of the underside of that table you wanted aigheadish:

I put two fixed wheels on it that just touch the floor. They take the weight and allow me to roll it around when I lift the other end. I can also flip it on its side and roll or store it that way.

Also, here is the bottom of the fence where the chips are sucked in.

I didn't have time yesterday to give an update either, but I did hookup the router table, the TS, and the RAS permanently to the dust system in a functional way and put the blast gates in.
 The RAS got two ports, but the smaller one isn't balanced well to suck enough, so I have to work on that.

The TS I did a straight pull form the bottom, gets 90% of it.

And the router gets 99%.

Still have to do the sanding bench and I have not figured out a good way to do that yet. Always lots to do around here and tomorrow is another day.

aigheadish

Thank you, sir, for the pictures, that helps! 

I assume you've seen the sanding boxes that people build? I've never used one and I imagine the suck would have to be substantial unless you close it in like a sand blasting chamber. 

Old Greenhorn

Yeah, but that's hard to do for a 5'+ slab. I suppose I could do that for the smaller stuff, perhaps make a second purpose for that router table and add a removeable box. Not a bad idea actually. :) Then use it for a mini spray booth to keep the dust off things as they dry, which is also an issue sometimes. Lemme think on that, thanks!

21incher

Here is a pic of the starter pin I mentioned. My finger is pointing at it. Makes freehand routing safer. Finger boards are also very helpful on a router fence.

You mentioned a sanding area so I included some pics of the one I built using 2 cheap box fans and furnace filters. It's on a 4 ft table and I have another table I can roll up on wheels in front of it for longer and larger parts. Really helps keep sawdust out of my face and Home Depot has cases of filters online that work good and are reasonably priced. Led strips help me see defects in the workpiece. The second pic has the filter removed to see the fan. Wish I had room to go one more fan wide but I have another single fan with filter that can be placed by individual tools.

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

aigheadish

@21incher Do you actually change the filters out frequently or just blow them out backwards? I really like this design, do you have any vacuum attached or is it just the draw of the fans? Have you burnt up any fans in the process?

21incher

Quote from: aigheadish on March 03, 2021, 02:48:26 PM
@21incher Do you actually change the filters out frequently or just blow them out backwards? I really like this design, do you have any vacuum attached or is it just the draw of the fans? Have you burnt up any fans in the process?
I change them, filters like this can not be reused. I have had the best results with Rheem dust and pollen filters on Homedepot.com and usually go through 2 cases of 12 a year. Fans have been going a couple years now. If you change the filters before they plug the fans should last a long time. I don't want to tie this thread up with details and there is a video on my youtube channel about making it. I also just leave it running to clean my shop air when sweeping up.

Old Greenhorn

I have to say I like that fan idea and you are not tying up the thread at all. I may use that idea on my big sanding bench because it fits my issues better.
 I may be a dunce but I am still not understanding the starting pin thing. Is it like a steady rest so you don't lunge the work into the bit? There has to be more to it than that.

21incher

This is a basic explanation for freehand template work Back to Basics - Starter Pin on the Router Table and If you do a search you will see many descriptions about how one can make any freehand router work a little safer.

Old Greenhorn

OK that link helped me understand. I have never had an issue with this, but I can see where certain types of work might be problematic so that is something I am going to keep in the back of my head for the day it is needed, Thanks! Looks like a 5 minute job to add. The fan idea though, that is something I gotta work on sooner, much sooner.
-----------------\

Yesterday I didn't get a lot done. re-did the top finish on that farm bench, too many holidays I didn't like and I put another coat on the bookshelves. So I wanted to keep the dust low until things cured up pretty well and just did odds an ends to keep me on my feet and productive. I did start work on a sign I have wanted to make for a while now. Since I have been ordering more supplies and stuff I have this one delivery company (that rhymes with FedEx) which leaves boxes in odd places that I often miss. Usually not a big deal, but the other day it was about 15 out and he/she delivered a gallon kit of epoxy that sat out there for several hours until I got the 'delivered' notice and went looking for it. That made up my mind to get a little sign made up. More when I get it further along.
Today is our monthly Chiro tune-up appointment and lunch date. But more importantly we go in for our first Covid Vaccine shot right after the Chiro visit! Don't ask me how I scored the appointments for both of us, it will just get me worked up all over again, but lets just say I have had it with local, state, and federal politicians of any stripe that are telling the public what a great job they are doing, but failing miserably in the last mile through what can only be called incompetence.
 Anyway, it feels like an important day and as we haven't had anything to 'go out' for in the last 12 months or so and I got a little excited. I did a full shave last night (it's been a while) and trimmed the beard. Took a nice long hot shower this morning, put on the new jeans I got for Christmas, and heck, I even used deodorant (which I gave up for lent last year :D). Also, because the vaccine folks request you wear a T-shirt, I donned this beauty I was gifted last month for the first time.

This was sent to me by @trimguy as a gift along with a set of jointer blades for my new to me jointer (also a gift). You meet the nicest folks on these forums. In a month or two I expect I will have something headed back his way. ;D (I really like this shirt Arnold, can't wait to show it off!)
 Well, time to do the rounds and feed the stoves.

Nebraska

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Nebraska on March 04, 2021, 02:38:07 PM
I LOVE that shirt.  :)
Yeah, I do too, once again my thanks to Mr. Johnson for the gift. Kind of a strange feeling to be wearing short sleeves again after months without them. I almost felt nekked standing there waiting for my shot.

trimguy

Glad you like the shirt. I certainly didn't do this to get anything back. For the record, I'm a hobby guy, not a business.  These are just some shirts we had printed up. I Have the name for it.😁

thecfarm

On those box fans, I mounted one upside down, so I could reach the controls, in my cellar. It runs steady, never shut it off. It had hung there for years!!! Seem like one died after 5-6-7 years of running steady, must be going on the same amount and maybe more on this one. I had this house built in 2000. I ran a dehumidify for years down there and than the fan.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Old Greenhorn

Yeah, I have a ceiling fan in the shop that has run continuously for 33 years (except power failures). It keeps the air churned up. Before we moved here it ran for 5 years in my third shop. I guess that fan doesn't owe me anything. ;D

doc henderson

I have shared this before, but this is my paint booth using a fan that exits through a window.  I use a cheap HF small dust collector fan.  you could do a down draft to your collector but I would not send paint through it.  I use the same fan for my engraver and you get an occasional ember so mine all just goes outside.  I would not send paint and or engraver exhaust into the collector full of dust and a fan blowing on it.   :) bon_fire :o

note the blue creeper in the upper left screen.

mini down draft paint booth in General Woodworking (forestryforum.com)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

aigheadish

@Old Greenhorn so what's the result of your frozen epoxy? I don't know anything about that stuff though I think I'll get into it in the future. Is it ruined?

@doc henderson is that an old boat chair you are using for the paint booth? Pretty slick design regardless... 

Old Greenhorn

It didn't freeze, I got it in time. I really don't want to take a chance and find out what happens, maybe nothing, but it can't help things. At 90 bucks a gallon, that would be an expensive lesson. I am working on something to prevent that from happening again. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!