iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 056 AVE opinions?

Started by Gecko, April 10, 2011, 12:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gecko

Stihl 056 AVE chainsaw with 28 inch bar and chain - $250
Still looking around for a saw. Saw this in my neighborhood today. I was wondering what your thoughts are on this saw for this price.
As Always,
   Gecko

beenthere

I'd guess we'd need to know how well it runs, or not.  ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Gecko

:D I was more curious as to the 056 itself. Like it, dislike it, issues with it.  Thanks.
As Always,
   Gecko

dovetails

Quote from: Gecko on April 10, 2011, 01:19:59 PM
:D I was more curious as to the 056 itself. Like it, dislike it, issues with it.  Thanks.

I have one,got from tree company I used to work with doing stump grinding.Needed it to cut off some of the large stumps to save a lot of grinding mess and time. It's a horse! I didn't have to use it often,but when needed, it would power thru anything I put it on! My only complaint was getting it started.That thing has some compression,and no compression release! lol  I would say if you cut a lot of BIG wood, go for it,but my 038 has cut everything I've needed in the past 20 years.I might have fired up the 56 4-5 times just to know it still ran.
1984 wm lt30,ford 3000 w/frt lift,several chain saws, 1953 model 30 Vermeer stump grinder,full wood working shop, log home in the woods what more ya need?

Ed

Its getting harder & harder to get parts for the 056 saws, Stihl isn't supporting them very well anymore. Bosch ignitions are another problem area, no easy replacment.

If it were me, I would pass, spend more $$ and get an 066 - 660 series saw.

Ed

Gecko

Thanks for the info. I appreciate your thoughts on this.
As Always,
   Gecko

Thank You Sponsors!