iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

353 detroit

Started by Timbercruiser, May 14, 2013, 09:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbercruiser

Just wanted to ask you guys who have run detroits for years. When you put new oil in is it normal for it to go so black right away ?? My motor is low hours on a rebuild and it goes black fast ??. My 4 stroke 7.3 will stay clean for a long time. Just wondered what the truth on a 353 is. Thanks :)

DDDfarmer

Oil in mine is due, but if I remember right it went black pretty quick.
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

Mapleman

Mine goes black right away too, I think it's just of feature of those engines.  I don't worry too much about it, but I do try to keep pretty close to the 100 hour oil change recommendation.
"The older I get, the better I used to be."

loggah

Thats normal for any 2 cycle Detriot, at the end of 10 hrs or so new oil will look just the used oil you drained out ! ;D Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Ed_K

Pail of delvac 1300s  $114.  :o :( .I've been changing at 150 hrs but at $176. for oil and filters it's getting crazy.
Ed K

PAFaller

My 353T in my 240 looks black after the first afternoon of skidding. And despite repeated attempts at finding all my leaks it still has a few that I cant quite figure. Guess its just something about them. That said the old girl starts and pulls wood without much issue, and its one of the cheapest motors to run I think.
It ain't easy...

snowstorm

i remember the the ad detroit had in the trucking magazines back in the 80,s. for the silver 92 series    they had fixed over 100 oil leaks or former oil leaks

redprospector

The oil turns black right away in every Detroit I've ever had (all 3 of them), and if they aren't leaking it's because they are empty.  :D

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Thank You Sponsors!