iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another Greenhorn on the loose

Started by rooster 58, October 26, 2012, 08:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster 58

Hi out there! This is my first post. I've been wanting a mill now for 5 yrs. Finally bought one today. Im like a kid at Christmas! She's a 70 with 80 hrs. and an EG200 with 70 hrs. I sure am tickled and cant wait to have it shipped so I can put er to work! Anyway, I'm sure I'll have alot of questions and hope you fellers can keep me on track. Thanks, and happy sawin!

haywire woodlot

I'm assuming that you mean an lt 70? If so, that's a really serious machine for a first mill! Way to go, you'll be making mountains of slabs and sawdust in no time!
Dave

thecfarm

That's like going from a manual mill with a 8 hp motor to an LT70. WOW!!! rooster,welcome to the forum.What's all the lumber going to be used for????
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Sawdust Lover

You got a 70? smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping Thats a monster! Look at the bright side, You will never have to upgrade! Welcome to the forum.

Bill Gaiche

Welcome aboard. Fill in your profile so we know where you are located. Give us a little run down on your plans with your new machine. bg

dgdrls

Welcome aboard and congratulations,

Now rule number ??  it didn't happen unless there are pictures!! :D

You have to post that big 70 sawing some logs

Best
DGDrls

rooster 58

Thanks guys. im not very computer savvy but I'll try. I'd rather have a chainsaw in my hands. Anyway, I have to go get my mill next week. I want to cut production with it. Mostly ties, and hemlock during building season. I also want to saw out an entire house, from framing thru trim and paneling. And maybe log siding for the exterior. I have some beautiful white pine for that. And of course, lumber for any mill buildings and such I will need

dutchman

Hi, I own some property outside of Leeper, use the farm for hunting.
I've hauled the mill up there several times to cut wood off the farm.
Good luck with your mill.

Okrafarmer

Nothing like jumping in with both feet. Congrats!  8)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

dgdrls

Rooster 58,

I know where your located, I thought that town name was familiar!
The Co. I work for has a hydro electric plant in Clarion,  Piney Station,
My duties have changed so I don't get there anymore unfortunately :(
I really like that area very scenic!!

Best,
DGDrls

drobertson

Rooster, good choice on the mill, these mills get down to bussiness. you will need to get some help, the 70 can run through the logs,   
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

slider

Great choice in a mill and good luck.You are going to enjoy this machine. al
al glenn

rooster 58

Yeah, I got lucky on this deal. I waited too long on a couple other 70's, but it paid off. Even tho it doesnt have the newest technology, I saved alot of greenbacks. Now I have to finalize a deal on land so I have a home for it. 'Til then I may set it up on site after deer season and use my JD tractor to cut and skid about 5 or 6 loads of hemlock and maybe a load of maple and beech. Figure maybe I can make enough to get a jump on recovering my investment before I have to buy logs!!

Solomon

You bought an awsome mill , I saw an LT-70 at the state fair in Richmond one year.  I sliced up a fat 14 ft pecan log 36 inches or more in less than 25 minutes cutting 8/4 and never even bogged down.  One fantastic machine.  Congrats!   Look forward to hearing more from you. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Solomon

"It sliced". not "I Sliced".    Typo!!!!!!
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Sawdust Lover

I think we're all pretty good at figuring out typo's. I wished now I took typing in school. :D

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum. What year model did you get?
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

rooster 58

it's an '05. I found it in Wisconsin. One thing concerns me about loading trucks is that I want to start up with my 5205 JD tractor. Im not sure if I'll have enough reach

customsawyer

If you are trying to load log trucks with the high bolsters you will need to build a dirt ramp or some such to reach over them.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Okrafarmer

Quote from: customsawyer on October 28, 2012, 04:35:57 PM
If you are trying to load log trucks with the high bolsters you will need to build a dirt ramp or some such to reach over them.

And you might consider shoring up the sides with timbers to help hold the dirt in. Use a strong rot resistant species. If possible, find a spot where the ground is already gently sloped. Then your ramp can actually be more flat, meaning your tractor won't have to struggle up hill as much with the loader high.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Magicman

Congratulations and Welcome to the Forestry Forum,  rooster 58.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rooster 58

Thanks again guys. I'm probably gonna have to build that ramp. I'll have to find some Larch to saw up

MAI

Welcome Roster 58.  Congrats on your mill.  As a sponsor on the Forum, our members are extremely helpful and knowledgable.  Their info is priceless. 
If I can be of any help please let me know.
DJ

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, rooster 58. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Leigh Family Farm

Another Pennsylvanian! You're on the other end of the state so unfortunateky I won't be able to come by and use...er...help you with your mill  ;) Good luck with your new to you mill.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Thank You Sponsors!